Thread: BackTrack and Builtin Webcam

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack and Builtin Webcam

As I Play around with BT4 I find that I would like to use it exclusively and remove windows7 from my laptop, but I am currently taking online classes at the local university and need to have a web-cam so my question is, how do I use my laptops built in web-cam with BackTrack? I have done some searches on the forums as well as on the Ubuntu site, but I am just starting out and it is likely that I found my answer but didn't recognize it for what it was, can someone tell me how I get my built in webcam web-cam to work with BT4 or point me in the right direction?

* My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1750 ( if that helps) if you need more information, please let me know.

NH

Default Re: BackTrack and Builtin Webcam

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticHusky View Post
    As I Play around with BT4 I find that I would like to use it exclusively and remove windows7 from my laptop, but I am currently taking online classes at the local university and need to have a web-cam so my question is, how do I use my laptops built in web-cam with BackTrack? I have done some searches on the forums as well as on the Ubuntu site, but I am just starting out and it is likely that I found my answer but didn't recognize it for what it was, can someone tell me how I get my built in webcam web-cam to work with BT4 or point me in the right direction?

* My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1750 ( if that helps) if you need more information, please let me know.

NH
    If I were you, I'd stick to using Ubuntu, and keep backtrack on a usb stick, or second partition. Web cams are fussy in linux still, some work, a lot of them won't. You should check on the Ubuntu forums for hardware support. Even if you do get it going, the software probably won't be compatible with the U's software, unless they're running a flash app.

Nice to see some more AK representation around here. I drove down to Ketchikan a few times when I still lived in North Pole.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

try installing a program called "cheese" it's a software can help you, regards.

@ravbyte cheese is only for taking pictures! I would let Windows installed and use it for that.

Just burned his ISO

hmm well I will have to look at the Ubuntu page first then, though leaving the partitions alone probly isnt a bad idea since it would truly suck to be without a computer when the semester starts if I fubar something. Thank you all who replied.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If I were you, I'd stick to using Ubuntu, and keep backtrack on a usb stick, or second partition.
    I've been seeing this response a lot around here and I'm honestly a little bummed out by it. I don't want to pick on you in particular because I understand that you response was directed specifically at the difficulty of using a webcam with backtrack or general linux, but I feel like a big part of BT4 is that it is designed as a whole and real OS yet anytime somebody asks a question or mentions wanting to use it as their or they get shot down. I just spent all my money on a laptop to run backtrack on and I guess it's a little disappointing when I find people asking questions and getting shotdown, once again I don't mean to vent on you, but this seemed like a good place to post.
    "It's a puzzle, Miss Scully, and scruffy minds like me like puzzles. We enjoy walking down unpredictable avenues of thought, turning new corners - - but as a general rule, scruffy minds don't commit murder." - Wilczek, X-files S1E7

Quote Originally Posted by hardez View Post
    @ravbyte cheese is only for taking pictures! I would let Windows installed and use it for that.
    i know, and i guess everybody know's, i suggest this soft, because the major of distributions i test no one got software for image capture from a webcam, i'm sure that BT recognize the webcam but ur friend don't have a software to check, and btw cheese it's not only a software to take pictures, adds image effects too, regards.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the fool View Post
    I've been seeing this response a lot around here and I'm honestly a little bummed out by it. I don't want to pick on you in particular because I understand that you response was directed specifically at the difficulty of using a webcam with backtrack or general linux, but I feel like a big part of BT4 is that it is designed as a whole and real OS yet anytime somebody asks a question or mentions wanting to use it as their or they get shot down. I just spent all my money on a laptop to run backtrack on and I guess it's a little disappointing when I find people asking questions and getting shotdown, once again I don't mean to vent on you, but this seemed like a good place to post.
    While this really has nothing to do with the thread I will tell you to look into the forums a bit more.
    While BT is now based on ubuntu and as such could be used as a full blown daily use OS not many will tell you to use it as such.
    There are a lot of reasons and at the interest of not further degrading the topic of the thread I will tell you to look into it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

wow, I forget about this thread for a little while and looks what happens. I did some searching around and since BT4 is based on ubuntu it should automatically recognize the webcam its up to the individual program your using to recognize it, and with the programs I have tried this seems to be true.

and, since I am the original poster of this thread, Archangel-Amael, if you or someone could point me to the threads that would explain why BT4 shouldn't be used as a stand alone OS Id appreciate it. It seems to me that if there is an option and instructions to use it as such then it was obviously meant to be, though perhaps the option is not to the best of BT4's capabilities. I dunno, threads where this is discussed would be great.