Thread: wusb600n rt2870 v1 and backtrack 4 final

Default wusb600n rt2870 v1 and backtrack 4 final

My google-fu isn't enough to get this done. I have read through various threads here and on the aircrack-ng forum trying to get this to work but I am falling short. I thought that one of the threads mentioned that this adapter works "out of the box" but all I can get out of it is monitor mode.Sorry I got a bit frustrated and sudo shutdown -h now seemed the only way to save my sanity so I am working a bit from memory

The interface shows as ra0

lsmod gives rt2800sta as loaded

airmon-ng start ra0 sometimes gives rt2500? started in monitor mode. Sometimes there is a blank where the interface? No doubt some of this is me desperately trying to take the interface up and down trying to make it work.

airodump-ng ra0 acts oddly in that I can see channel hopping but only seems to give proper info for channel 1. I can use wicd to connect to the ap in the channel I want say channel 6 and then I get proper info for that channel(wicd seems to force it to the channel the ap is on).

aireplay-ng -1 0 -a xt:ar:ge:tx -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 -e target ra0
    gives no success

Is compat-wireless required for injection or should this just work with bt4? I saw the jano thread but I wondered if it was prefinal?

If somebody could throw me a bone on this one that would be great.I have been a linux user since edgy eft but still remain a tutorial following fiend ... its not that I dont understand what I am doing but sometimes the getting done helps the understanding.

Default Re: wusb600n rt2870 v1 and backtrack 4 final

You may try this to get the rt2870 drivers, instead of the rt2800.

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, and add, blacklist rt2800sta, then it should use the the RT2870STA driver. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by dromar421; 07-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    The step by step guide to Backtrack.
    1. Open up your Internet Browser.
    2. Go to google Home Page.
    3. Type in exactly what you are looking for in search box provided.
    4. Use your mouse to go were it says, search, click on it.
    5. Read till your eyes bleed.
    6. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I wondered if what you are suggesting would have worked.Instead I have followed this thread Please Help! With AWUS036NH RT2800 Driver Under uNetBootin USB BackTrack 4f using codethinks precompiled kernel. This was supposed to be for the AWUS036NH which I thought was a different ralink chipset but they seem to be using the same group of drivers. I dont know, part of the process was simply blacklisting the 2870sta drivers so maybe that did it. Any how after the process monitor and injection are working. I really wished I knew what I did to get it working. Backtrack is running in a VM hosted on a ubuntu lucid box.

Just burned his ISO

If you check the hardware compatibility forums I just posted a modified driver that I got injection to work on my install.

DE