Thread: no such device

Just burned his ISO

Default no such device

this may have already been answered in here somewhere, but I just installed back track 4 and can't connect to my network, running any of the air commands (airodump, airmon, aireplay, etc.) or the commands from the start networking thread, I get a "no such device" error, I am running on a virtual box on my ubuntu machine, I am fairly new to computers in general, but can't seem to figure this out, why bt4 not detecting my hardware?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: no such device

Well we are going to need more info (such as card type, chipset etc.) in order to help.
    In the interim start searching.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Not sure if Archangel-Amael caught that, but if you are fairly new to computers in general, you might want to take more time and get familiar with computers, how things work, what does what, why it does it so forth so on. This is not something you want to just try to jump into with out some knowledge, of what is going on. Coming from a newbie, that tried to jump in head first in backtrack 3, I had to get the basics down first and come back in Bt4. But if you want to give it a shot my best advice from a newbie to another newbie is google get real familiar with it cause 98% of the questions you will ask are already answered.
    Last edited by dromar421; 07-18-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Just burned his ISO

I will do that, I find it's better to figure things out on my own anyway, then you get to learn some other things along the way, If I am still having problems in a while I will try to get some suggestions from you all

thanks
    beelzebufo

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebufo View Post
    this may have already been answered in here somewhere, but I just installed back track 4 and can't connect to my network, running any of the air commands (airodump, airmon, aireplay, etc.) or the commands from the start networking thread, I get a "no such device" error, I am running on a virtual box on my ubuntu machine, I am fairly new to computers in general, but can't seem to figure this out, why bt4 not detecting my hardware?
    running any of the air commands (airodump, airmon, aireplay, etc.)

Maybe you run it in VBOX and you don't have wlan0 interface.

Best,,,,,,,,

Issues with virtual machines, be it VMWare,VBox or anything else has been discussed in a broad range already.

If you don't have an USB wireless adapter you are out of luck to use any of the air... commands.

Also if you are quite new to computers you should go ahead and learn more about Linux in general in the first place as well as one programming language. Choose one and start to dig into it. Don't switch over to another cause you think that one is easier or alike. If you once caught the grasp on how programming works you won't have many issues learning a different programming language.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá