Thread: WiFi No such devise...

Just burned his ISO

Default WiFi No such devise...

I have an Hp Pavilion dv6 with backtrack 4 and i cant connect to a wireless connection.
    I tried posting similar topics and i was given an infraction and referred to another thread but it didn't work, nether did any of the other websites i looked at.
    so these are some of the things i noticed and need help on.

1. i tried iwconfig lo and eth0 say no wireless extensions.

2. i tried /etc/init.d/networking start and each one said no such device.

3. i tried /etc/init.d/NetworkManager and got bash: /etc/init.d/NetworkManager: No such file or directory

Can i get some help at all? maybe some new things to try?

I think it may be a driver but i cant download it to try (No internet connection)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: WiFi No such devise...

Well it looks to me that there are two infractions against your account and based on their description it seems that you can't follow the forum rules you agreed to when you joined. I would suggest you review them now before your next post so as to prevent further such occurrences.

Now as for your problem I have one in this series and it works fine. However that tells you nothing. I would suggest you look to see what type of card you have and if it is compatible or not and then I would check to ensure you are typing the command correctly. One of the above (#3) is not a command.
    Then after that if you still have problems post the card info, the commands you entered, the exact error messages you got back and all other relevant info.

EDIT: Now that I looked I understand exactly why you have infractions.
    OP do take the time and re-read what the Moderator PM'ed you in those infractions.
    That way when you make a future post it will be helpful to us.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-15-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

lo is the loopback interface and eth0 is usually the wired interface. Have you tried updating bt4 via a wired connection? That should actually be your first step. Everyone here always mentions this or that about the wifi, almost everyone here also has a wired connection somewhere at home....pull it out of your router stick it into your laptop and type ifconfig eth0 up and then dhclient eth0. Now you can try to update your install. other things to try..
    have you tried a card in your pci express slot or a usb wifi dongle?
    type airmon-ng to see if that gives you any info
    also you could check out the ubuntu 8.04 forums for anyone who has the same laptop/problem.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

my wired connection doesn't work ether =(
    I checked some other forums but everyone had a specific wifi card name all i could find was.

Fax/Modem: High speed 56k modem
    Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Connectivity: 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN

the rest of my specs are here.
    Product Specifications HP Pavilion dv6-1247cl Entertainment Notebook PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

YES!!
    i found the driver!!!
    now how do i install it?
    p.s. I'm new to linux so dumb it down a little if possible.
    p.s.s. don't call hp and ask what wifi card u have just check with kde control module!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-16-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Jeff if I was you I would go to the hp page look up the drivers for the Dv6 and see what chip set it has they normally have 2 different types to download, 2nd I would try boot in windows and check your device manager to pin point what type of chip it is, then google it to see if any one has a answer for the problem and see if you cant figure it out those are some basic things to try, before you upset someone further.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by dromar421; 07-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

OP, You are starting to piss me off now too.
    As I have already mentioned you have two infractions from another mod for failing to follow the rules.
    Then you double post here instead of using the "edit this post" button and then on top of that you created another thread on the exact same topic.
    I want you to get help and be able to participate here, but if you can't also follow the simple rules that our community has established then I would suggest you find somewhere else to get help.
    Forum Rules | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution