Thread: startx Problem

Just burned his ISO FurryTurtle's Avatar

Question startx Problem

Ok, I have installed BackTrack 4 Final Release onto a empty machine using the live environment version on one of my USB thumb drives. It boots up fine and logs in to root without any problems but when the startx command is inputed the splash screen appears and gets to initializing system services and hangs for abit there and then the splash screen vanishes without finishing the normal splash screen cycle, leaving in its wake a blank screen with only a pointer.

I then decided to try and boot up the machine using a persistent version of backtrack which i installed to one of my 8 gigabyte USB thumb drives. This works perfectly. It boots up fine logs in fine and loads the GUI fine.

If anyone has a solution to this problem it would be much appreciated.

all the best,

FurryTurtle

Default Re: startx Problem

Quote Originally Posted by FurryTurtle View Post
    Ok, I have installed BackTrack 4 Final Release onto a empty machine using the live environment version on one of my USB thumb drives. It boots up fine and logs in to root without any problems but when the startx command is inputed the splash screen appears and gets to initializing system services and hangs for abit there and then the splash screen vanishes without finishing the normal splash screen cycle, leaving in its wake a blank screen with only a pointer.

I then decided to try and boot up the machine using a persistent version of backtrack which i installed to one of my 8 gigabyte USB thumb drives. This works perfectly. It boots up fine logs in fine and loads the GUI fine.

If anyone has a solution to this problem it would be much appreciated.

all the best,

FurryTurtle
    I have had this issue before and i dont know what caused it but doing the following did fix it for me

-when the usb boots and you log in with root, toor and before hitting startx
    -ifup eth0 [you will need internet connection on this box]
    - apt-get update
    -apt-get upgrade

in your situation as you are running from a pure live usb without any changed an apt-get upgrade might not complete as you may use all of your space up in your swap (obviously if this fixes your problem you will have to do this every time you use this usb stick, but it is worth a shot, the other way i have fixed this before was

-when the usb boots and you log in with root, toor and before hitting startx
    - type "shutdown now"
    -select "xfix Try to fix X server"

this may/ may not fix your usb stick, also try installing bt4 again as (even though it can be unlikely) a file could have become corrupt which is causing the issue, try and verify your image with a MD5 sum of the image as well.

hope this helps

Just burned his ISO FurryTurtle's Avatar

Its not the persistent USB Thumb Drive thats giving me the problems it boots up and loads the GUI fine on the Thumb drive.

Its the installation on the machine's HDD Where the problem has occurred...

Thank you for your help but i fixed the problem.

It must have been a corrupt install, i just reinstalled it on the machines HDD and it worked fine.
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 07-14-2010 at 10:07 PM.