Thread: No disk space left?

Question No disk space left?

OK, here's the deal. I was trying my hand at cracking WEP and WPA on my home network. Fortunately, those efforts have been successful and I'm quite happy about it.

However, during the process of cracking I was using Crunch to create wordlists. As you all know, wordlists 5 characters or longer are pretty big files and take up lots of space. So, after creating some of those wordlists and using them, I delete them by sending them to the trash. Later, when I tried to create new wordlists, I got a "no disk space left" error. Realizing that I haven't emptied the trash, I went and did just that. That seemed to solve the problem.

Now, after a couple more times, the trash doesn't seem to get emptied. It would allow me to empty the trash but I'd still get a "no disk space left" error when trying to create new wordlists. Finally, thinking that all that was needed was a good reboot, I rebooted the system. Now, I can no longer log into Backtrack 4. I know that the only way to really solve this boot problem is simply to reinstall backtrack. So....

My question is: What is it that caused this and how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks....

PS: I haven't exactly learned to update the apps and packages on backtrack yet so...if you don't mind, could you tell me what the commands are? I'm sure it's apt-get something but can I be sure that it'll update EVERYTHING?

Default Re: No disk space left?

Just do a search for big files on your BT install volume. Hint: Read up on the find command... maybe even check the Command Line Kung Fu blog.

Check the FAQ forum for the answer to the next question.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin
    Just do a search for big files on your BT install volume.
    Right right....but how do I prevent this from happening again? This problem didn't occur until I started making wordlists with Crunch. I'll do a shift+delete next time I delete files but I just want to be sure it won't happen again.

Just an FYI - you don't need to re-install in that case. Let me explain:

The login flow, from a 5,000 foot view, looks something like:
    - Collect credentials
    - Pass them to PAM
    - Follow the PAM stack
    - If success, write an entry to wtmp
    - Return success/failure

If any one of those pieces fails, you are denied entry (even if you have credentials allowing you onto the machine). In this case, I'm guessing your BT partition was full and the write() to wtmp was failing causing failed login attempts.

You have a number of options to fix this. First, you can boot a liveCD and mount the hdd partition of your backtrack's /var or /var/log location (usually, it's the root partition). Deleting a few spare log files will allow you to free enough space to log-in.

Additionally, you can use du -h on your "full" partitions to see which directories are eating up space (my guess is you have quite a bit in places like /tmp and /root). Piping it to awk or sed for some simple processing (to filter out directories less than 10Meg or so) would probably be a good idea.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    Right right....but how do I prevent this from happening again? This problem didn't occur until I started making wordlists with Crunch. I'll do a shift+delete next time I delete files but I just want to be sure it won't happen again.
    I was hoping you would be able to work that out on your own based on what I'd already told you.

If your disk is filling up, you need to find the cause for the disk usage and resolve it. Find where the big files are being created, this will then allow you to monitor this directory to see what it is you are doing that's causing the files to be created. Once you find out whats creating the files, either change the commands you are using so they are no longer created or delete them after you have used them.

And assuming you haven't encrypted the volume where your big files are, you can do as orgcanman mentioned, mount your BT volume after booting from a Live OS, find the files using up your disk space, delete them, then you should be able to logon again.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.