Thread: I did it! / WiFi

Just burned his ISO

Question I did it! / WiFi

Hello all, thank you for all the help in getting this up and running. I love it!

Now to start tweaking Back Track
    Back Track works with the internet on a cat5 line, but I can't seem to get it to work on a wireless connection. I search the forum and I couldn't find anything on this. I was hoping someone could point me in the write directing.

Also, when I download updates, like flash or any program. What version do I want to download? Example would for Flash, they have YUM for Linux, .tar.gz for Linux, and .rpm for Linux. I have used the .tar before but the other extensions I have never seen. What programs would I use to open them?

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: I did it! / WiFi

Whats happening when you try to connect wirelessly? You would need to run '/etc/init.d/wicd start' from a terminal to turn on the wicd wifi manager. Once the WICD manager is open, you need to click the little arrow beside the network name to access the settings and enter the network key. Sorry if this comes across as patronising but you're not being very specific as to what is happening and what you have tried for the wireless problem.

Just burned his ISO

ok so im new to this as well and i just figured this out yesterday... no kidding...
    open konsole and type in the following (without the little arrows) > /etc/init.d/wicd start < that turns on the service now after you do that then u need to open the wicd wireless manager to do this open the k menu (equal to the start menu in windows) then goto internet it will pop out to the side and in side is the wicd network manager. then you just have to choose the network you want to connect to.... u may have to fiddle with some setting in the manager window depending on the security of the network if you have any questions i dont mind learning it with you (as long as you dont mind being help by someone who is learning as well) LOL

congrats on getting things up and running.
    as to wifi, there are tons of threads and a few tutorials as well on the forums. you'll need to research your specific wifi card, etc. and then do some searching.

as to which versions to update your packages to:
    backtrack is based upon Ubuntu and comes with preset repositories, so you should always search apt/synaptic first and install from there. If you really need to install something that isn't in the repos, then you would want to go for a ".deb" package generated for Ubuntu or, if you feel up to the task, simply go for the source tarball. However, I would suggest caution here. Once you stray from the official repositories things might get a little complicated and your chances for support from these forums begins to diminish.

good luck with that...
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

ok just so i dont seem like an idiot. when i posted my first response the were no replys... lol... i just dont want to sound like i was repeating weephatz. so yeah thats all.

good luck hope its what you needed

make sure your wifi is recognized by Backtrack. 'cos if isn't, Wicd won't help.
    run iwconfig
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Just burned his ISO

The wicd loaded and I went to the manager and it said no wireless networks found. I will try the iwcofig and see if that works. I am using a Dell Studio 17 laptop with a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 wireless card. I can provide a butt load of more info if it is required.

Thank you

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: I did it! / WiFi

i usually connect to the wireless network through the shell commands here they are

wlan0 is my interface you will need to change it to your wireless interface
    "key" is where you will put the wep key no " "
    "channel" you will put the wireless network channel again no " "
    "essid" you will put the wireless network name this is the name not the bssid and again no " "

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    iwconfig wlan0 key "Key"
    iwconfig wlan0 channel "Channel"
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "Essid"
    dhclient wlan0