Thread: Not enough physical memory VMware

Default Not enough physical memory VMware

I have VMware +BT4 up and running fine on my windows 7 laptop.. so I pretty familiar with it. But I have an issue

I successfully installed VMware on my Windows XP desktop, and Im trying to run BT4, but it says there is not enough physical memory, so BT4 will not open

Is there anything I can do about this? Allocate memory somehow?

I don't know what to do please help

Default Re: Not enough physical memory VMware

Quote Originally Posted by waterways View Post
    I have VMware +BT4 up and running fine on my windows 7 laptop.. so I pretty familiar with it. But I have an issue

I successfully installed VMware on my Windows XP desktop, and Im trying to run BT4, but it says there is not enough physical memory, so BT4 will not open

This is not a VMware support forum. If you have issues regarding VMware I'm pretty sure they have a forum too.
    I'm not familiar with VMware, but you can always try VirtualBox who has an option to allocate memory.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Quote Originally Posted by waterways View Post

Change how much memory is allocated to the backtrack virtual machine. If you don't know how to do that google "change how much memory is allocated to virtual machine vmware".
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Are you using VM player or VM Workstation? I can't tell from reading through this thread. I have experience with both. If you are using VM player and not full VM Workstation I don't think you can re-allocate memory once the virtual machine is built.

If you are using VM Workstation you can easily adjust the memory allocated to the virtual machine, and it only takes seconds to do.

So, to reallocate more memory you either need Workstation OR you will have to rebuild your virtual machine and this time select a higher memory during the process.

By the way, you mentioned an XP machine (maybe much older). How much RAM does that machine have? If its really old and only has 128 meg or something in that generation, you are out of luck. Let us know but make sure to check before you waste a bunch of time.

This is not a VMWare forum.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.