Thread: two atheros adapters

Just burned his ISO

Question two atheros adapters

Is it not possible to use two atheros adapters (netgear wn111n and tplink wn722n) in backtrack4? Every time I try to connect the second one the other adapter automatically disconnects. I have searched and cannot find a similar problem anywhere. Many thanks for any assistance you can give.

Ok seeing as I can't bump or repost this I'll edit and hope to get a response. I have searched for the last two weeks on many forums, google etc using every search parameter that I can think of and still have not found a similar problem. Either I have missed the bleeding obvious (to which I humbly apologise if this is the case), the question was considered stupid or I have actually stumbled upon a problem that even the gurus can't answer (highly unlikely). I am not a linux noob but I am a BT noob. In five years I have asked two questions on linux forums so it's not as if I'm a serial pest. If I have missed the post that has the answer could someone at least hint. Thankyou.
    Last edited by stamphead1; 06-10-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

Default Re: two atheros adapters

when you say the adapter disconnects what do you mean, and what are you using them both for? Ive used up to 3 usb or pcmcia devices at a time and haven't had a problem, i might be some help if you could specify
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

Hi gunrnr. Thanks for your response. I am using BT4 with VM and was using the WN111 v2 for wireless connection. I bought a TP-LINK TL-WN722N to use for pentesting as it is the only one here with external antenna. However, strangely when I disconnect from host it will connect to BT but instantly the WN111 will disconnect from BT and reconnect to host. Whilst this isn't an "issue" as such I haven't been able to find out why. I have several other(non atheros) adapters and as you point out there is no problem with running these together. Sadly I'm just an old info junkie that just has to know the answers.
    Haven't found this problem anywhere on the net using dozens of different search parameters. Any info on who or where might shed some light on this would be great.
    Again, thankyou for responding to my query.
    stamphead1

Well that sounds more like a VM issue than a BT issue from the info you gave.
    You could try if you could connect both of those adapters to a non BT VM and see what happens then.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Well that sounds more like a VM issue than a BT issue from the info you gave.
    You could try if you could connect both of those adapters to a non BT VM and see what happens then.
    Thanks for that advice KMDave. Yep that's an angle that hadn't even crossed my mind. Guess I was looking too hard at the BT angle. Will try that soon and see what happens.
    Many thanks.