Thread: Not recognizing AirPcap, brain fart

Just burned his ISO

Question Not recognizing AirPcap, brain fart

Hey guys, total noob here and still learning so bare with me. I am trying to do a simple WEP crack and was never able to do it with my built in network card, sooo I just bought the AirPcap XL. I just was playing with it and I am by no means very experienced with Linux or Unix except from a few programming classes in college. Anyways, when I type

"airmon-ng"

i get

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Intel 3945ABG iwl3945 - [phy0]

I only have one wireless network running on my stock card and I can seem to get the airpcap card to show up on the list. Am I supposed to start the AirPcap by running a command like

airmon-ng start mon0

or similar? I don't feel like I need to install the driver, or do I? Is the airpcap recognized as a different device than a wireless adapter or a etho adapter? I feel like this should be easy but i'm just starting so, work with me a little .

Thanks for the help in advance.

-P

Default Re: Not recognizing AirPcap, brain fart

Airpcap definitely isnt supported in Linux (search this page for the word "Linux"). As to whether the device will work as a regular wireless card under Linux... this seems to indicate that that the AirPCap XL is an atheros 9170 USB device and that it uses this driver. So you need to get that driver loaded.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

well, looks like I should have done my homework first. Only a little bump. I'll try installing the driver. Thanks lupin. i'll let you know if I cant figure it out.

so apparently I already had those drivers loaded. but this site says I need to add the ID of the airPcap to the driver. Can anyone tell me what program I use to edit this .fw file?

happy friday
    Last edited by lupin; 05-22-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Merging...

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: Not recognizing AirPcap, brain fart

Whats with the stupid references to the Manufacturer's homepage? I have never seen something so ignorant. Everywhere i google for an Answer to Linux and Airpcap, Some moron is quoting the homepage.
    Worst part is, even on a site like this!? since when does anyone here take anything at face value!?

From what i can tell, it is an awesome Windows tool- So Why hasnt anyone ported it? Or Why has someone ported it, and ABSOLUTELY not one will work on finding it? How is Vitalization of Windows an answers?
    Even Worse, Why are there Wireshark LIBRARIES labied pcap, and we still cnat sure nearly its #1 tool?

I know this is a rant of shorts, but i wasnt expecting to hear these types of answers on this site. its bad enough to have idiots not helping or worse on the normal sites.
    now it appears, i have to stoop down to using my windows box due to the lack of .... user support? IDk- Someone tell me?

please?

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

airpcap is wayy over priced, I can do anything you can do with cain and airpcap, with a alfa and backtrack. alfa card +backtrack = 50 bucks how much does the xl cost these days the EX is over 500 dollars, so isn't it easier to throw in a usb with bt4 and pwn? And if you if you don't believe me go watch someone blow out a wep in 2 minutes with gerix wifi and a decent ..cheap usb wifi.
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Be cool subcool. The moderator gave an appropriate answer, more than needed, considering that this tool in not in BT.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SubCool View Post
    Whats with the stupid references to the Manufacturer's homepage? I have never seen something so ignorant. Everywhere i google for an Answer to Linux and Airpcap, Some moron is quoting the homepage.
    Worst part is, even on a site like this!? since when does anyone here take anything at face value!?

From what i can tell, it is an awesome Windows tool- So Why hasnt anyone ported it? Or Why has someone ported it, and ABSOLUTELY not one will work on finding it? How is Vitalization of Windows an answers?
    Even Worse, Why are there Wireshark LIBRARIES labied pcap, and we still cnat sure nearly its #1 tool?

I know this is a rant of shorts, but i wasnt expecting to hear these types of answers on this site. its bad enough to have idiots not helping or worse on the normal sites.
    now it appears, i have to stoop down to using my windows box due to the lack of .... user support? IDk- Someone tell me?

please?
    When the author of a particular piece of software specifically says that the software will not work under Linux, and the person asking a question about whether that particular piece of software works on Linux doesn't reference that particular comment, I think that providing a link to the manufacturers website is relevant.

I suppose I could also have downloaded the software and tried to run it on BT using Wine, but I don't necessarily have the time to personally investigate every issue that people raise here (I have my own projects to focus on, plus I have a life). I also probably thought that any software that likely requires direct access to a particular device using specific hardware on Windows would not be likely to work under Wine, and the fact that I don't own one of the appropriate hardware devices would make any such investigation difficult.

Here's a thought. Instead of coming here, calling people morons, and complaining about how no one has performed a decent investigation into getting this software to run on Linux, and about why has no one ported it, why don't you do it? You can then post the details here, and the next person who experiences frustration that other people have not done their work for them can read your results instead of just making pointless insulting posts.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.