Thread: Fixing autoscan once and for all

Default Fixing autoscan once and for all

Having tried the autoscan package as well as the developer's own installer i keep running into stability issues with it. Given that its a great graphical tool that enumerates hosts and allows or quick connects, i'm a fan of it (when it works). My macbook runs it with no problems, BT, not so much. In light of this i decided to compile from source under the presumption that some libraries we use are likely different from the ones that the apps were built on to begin with.

I seem to have all the deps right (libcurl still produces strange things -
    Checking for vte version >= 0.11.12... found 0.17.4
    Checking for curl version >= 0.11.12... Package curl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `curl.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'curl' found
    found
    Checking for /usr/include/libelf.h ... found
    but its there damnit...
    ~# locate curl.pc
    /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libcurl.pc
    but making either clean or to a package format causes the following when building the autoscan-network-daemon. There are tons of ignored errors on autoscan-network as well, but it seems to compile (kinda hard to test it all before its done).

make[1]: Entering directory `/OLD/Data/Working/Autoscan/autoscan-network-1.50/src/autoscan-network-daemon'
    \033[1;39Build autoscan-network-daemon\n\033[0;39m
    Compiling --- \033[1;32mmain.c\033[0m --
    In file included from Log.h:104,
    from BackTrace.h:40,
    from main.c:48:
    Network/Snmp.h:41:38: error: net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h: No such file or directory
    Network/Snmp.h:42:40: error: net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from Log.h:104,
    from BackTrace.h:40,
    from main.c:48:
    Network/Snmp.h:135: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'oid'
    Network/Snmp.h:142: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'oid'
    make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/OLD/Data/Working/Autoscan/autoscan-network-1.50/src/autoscan-network-daemon'
    make: *** [AutoScan_Agent] Error 2
    dont ask about the directory structure, something i keep in place since i use remastersys...
    Seeing as i havent built anything this complex in C i'm wondering if someone with a bit more brainpower could help me debug and get a bloody build done so as i could post a tutorial for others (and notes for the devs to update the package if it works).

My other concern is that there seem to be a lot of escape chars "/" and such in the code which i'm not sure belong. Seeing as the developer is french, i dont see a need for anything but standard latin ASCII, but i may be wrong, and that could be causing my issue. Google reveals little, this product seems to be in a state of "its buggy, accept it." without anything comparably light-weight and useful out there for the linux users. Assistance is appreciated, thx.

Good friend of the forums

Default Re: Fixing autoscan once and for all

umm nmap has a GUI just use that I used autoscan like once ...

Yeah, zenmap, i'm aware. autoscan though rescans devices on click and watches for new devices to arp the network, flags em as intruders as needed. Its got its benefits, and although i can use a slew of tools to do the same things, no single tool does it all. Thanks for the reply, but something constructive would have been more appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

I like autoscan aswell..but it's unstable.
    Out of the 20 times i run it 2 or 3 work.
    I'm also looking for a fix.
    But so far no luck.

c

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

I have mentioned this before but autoscan is a hit or miss type of application IMO. I have used it on several machines and it works without a hitch then other times I have had to go and edit files or whatever to get it to work.
    It is indeed a good application but it seems as though the dev team is not very active on their own site. I would suggest you try talking with them rageLtman and see if you can't get some help, info, or insight from them.
    They might even be happy to have the help.

I've compiled from source successfully on a few machines and a handful of distros but even then it doesn't work 100%. It'll start and work for a bit and crash at random. Sometimes right away, other times not for an hour or more..

Just burned his ISO

This issue depends on what you run "configure" and "make" without administrator rights (I'm not sure that at the stage of configuring the need for these rights, but in case of make they definitely needed). In this case I'm talking about compiling in Ubuntu 10.04. I did not activate the root user, and simply changed the ownership of the files "configure" and "make" to the root user. Also, I added the sticky-bit to these files.

and in file "configure" don't forgen, to change sound option to "enabled"
    Code:
     Ubuntu)
    	OPTIONS="-D__LINUX_ENABLE $OPTIONS"
    	INSTALL_DAEMON='update-rc.d autoscan-network defaults 90';
    	DAEMON='init.d/autoscan-network-ubuntu /etc/init.d/autoscan-network';
    	SNMP="enable";
    	TRAYICON="enable";
    	SOUND="enable";
    	VNC="enable";
    	SIGNAL="enable";
    	SEMAPHORE="enable";
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

All packages for BT are created for root. We don't even recommend users to make a user account. It defeats the purpose of BT really.
    Also two other things, I know I have mentioned one of them before, I personally have never had problems using autoscan.
    That does not mean that there are none, just that I have tried to reproduce some of the errors that I have seen on the forums in regards, but have not had such (un)luck. Also an upgrade may be in order, check out BT4 r1
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 09-03-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, I do have some troubles with autoscan. I either use Umit or Zenmap as both fill my port-scanning needs.

Thanks for the tip about Umit, should, does have network inventory and scheduling, that might be good enough to replace autoscan. But I do like the intrusion detection option in autoscan.

Quote Originally Posted by cqghost View Post
    Yeah, I do have some troubles with autoscan. I either use Umit or Zenmap as both fill my port-scanning needs.