Thread: mathematical question and numbers of days to find a wpa key with a 64 keys random

Just burned their ISO

Default mathematical question and numbers of days to find a wpa key with a 64 keys random

Hello,

I had a wep protection on my own router and in 10 minutes I found my own key with bt4

now I update my protection to wpa with a 64 keys

I have downloaded a password time calculator BFTCalc.xls and made a calculation of my own new key
    so I put 22 upper case letters, 16 lower case letters, 10 numbers, and 16 special characters.

So the calculator is based on 17 trillions passwords tried in one hour

but I found a site which says it can try 600 millions passwords per second with a nvidia 9800gx2 video card so it would make only about 2.16 trillion

the time to find my key could be up to 8,612,431,605,938,700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0.00 days with 17 trillions passwords tries in one hour.

So I guess I don t have to worry about someone hacking my router......

just wanted to share my point and see if my calculations were right

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: mathematical question and numbers of days to find a wpa key with a 64 keys random

Max WPA PSK is 63 characters but it isn't about days, it is about years. Honistly though, if someone wants on to your network that bad then it is most likely going to happen but I doubt it will be via a brute force attack, maybe an evil twin attack that tricks you into sending your PSK in clear text directly to the attacker or something along those sorts.

Yes you can use GPU accelerated attacks but against a 63 character PSK it is still going to take far too long to be practical. However, If you are worried that someone is going to crack your 63 character PSK then just change it every couple of years and you will be fine

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: mathematical question and numbers of days to find a wpa key with a 64 keys random

If someone wants to "haxor" you then it would also be easy for them to hit you on the head with a pipe until you give up the password.

Good friend of the forums gunrunr's Avatar

17 trillions passwords tries in one hour.....sounds like pure's siite lol
    Wielder of the spoon of doom
    Summercon, Toorcon, Defcon, Bsides, Derbycon, Shmoocon oh my
    Come hang out with hackers on twitter @gunrunr556

Just burned his ISO

With this It'll take less . And BTW why would someone want to hack you? What the heck do you have on your network? Banking information? Nuclear Missle launch codes? The secret of killing Chuck Norris?

Just burned their ISO

is there a way, someone with my IP, scan my ports and find an open port to hack my router admin access and change the key ? ( I know paranoid question ;-) )

is there another way I don t even now ( as I consider myself a noob ) can hack my computer or router ? ( except key logger or trojan )