Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

Default Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

I'm just about to order the Alfa AWUS036H-V5.

I would like to know what type of antenna I should buy. I search and really have not found the right answer. I don't care about how much it will cost. Would it also be good to buy more then one? Can you hook up more then one on the Alfa AWUS036H-V5?

Better to buy one or mod one?

Thanks for your responds!

Default Re: Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

neither, buy parts and build one yourself. it will give you a basic understanding of how rf works across different frequencies and ultimately a better understand of how to effectively pentest wifi
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

You could of coarse build one yourself, however without doing pretty advanced test you wont know for sure if it is working optimally, my advice would be to purchase a yaggi. Parabolics will travel further than other antennas but you have to be much much more precise with the points. Unless you need wifi to travel miles for some kind of experiment (stuck in a valley etc) you dont really need to consider parabolic imho, Here is a yaggi ( my recomendation ) Yaggis travel far and have a useable beamwidth.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by crweedon View Post
    neither, buy parts and build one yourself. it will give you a basic understanding of how rf works across different frequencies and ultimately a better understand of how to effectively pentest wifi
    I've seen some pretty screwed up home made wifi antennas. I'd stick to store-bought antennas unless you actually know what you're doing.

The above antenna is a real antenna someone made and was asking us over at the netstumbler forums why it wasn't working right. I did some creative photochopping to protect the innocent, and make fun of the antenna....

Right out of the acme factory .... the roadrunner will be right by with a BT [pwnsauce] logo on a netbook
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

StreaM - I suppose the answer depends on if you mean best long range omni or best long range directional. If your purpose is to get a good understanding of all the wifi APs in your vicinity then omni is your tool. If you have a target AP in mind, know exactly where it is but can't get close enough, then directional is the right tool.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Here is a yaggi ( my recomendation ) Yaggis travel far and have a useable beamwidth.
    Iv been also thinking to buy bigger/better antenna to my alfa awus036H 1000mw. that antenna looks great but its not that mobile, any recommendations for mobile long range antenna?

Question Re: Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

Quote Originally Posted by crweedon View Post
    Thank you for your respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've seen some pretty screwed up home made wifi antennas. I'd stick to store-bought antennas unless you actually know what you're doing.

The above antenna is a real antenna someone made and was asking us over at the netstumbler forums why it wasn't working right. I did some creative photochopping to protect the innocent, and make fun of the antenna....
    I want that one! heh, Thanks You.

Quote Originally Posted by mfBaranian View Post
    Right out of the acme factory .... the roadrunner will be right by with a BT [pwnsauce] logo on a netbook
    True. Barry? lets see it when it looks like this. Thank You mfBaranian

Quote Originally Posted by hypervista View Post
    StreaM - I suppose the answer depends on if you mean best long range omni or best long range directional. If your purpose is to get a good understanding of all the wifi APs in your vicinity then omni is your tool. If you have a target AP in mind, know exactly where it is but can't get close enough, then directional is the right tool.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm looking to have the one where I can pick up more AP's Don't have to be all at ones. I can point the directional antenna all around until I find the one I want. Do you think these type of antenna will travel the farthest? I want to get the max out of my alfa adapter. Can you have a splitter where you can add 2 antenna's to the alfa adapter? Having to antenna's will make it travel farther? better? Again Thanks for your answer's.

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Iv been also thinking to buy bigger/better antenna to my alfa awus036H 1000mw. that antenna looks great but its not that mobile, any recommendations for mobile long range antenna?
    You said your looking for one "bigger"/better then ask for one that's mobile? You want a "small"/better antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    You could of coarse build one yourself, however without doing pretty advanced test you wont know for sure if it is working optimally, my advice would be to purchase a yaggi. Parabolics will travel further than other antennas but you have to be much much more precise with the points. Unless you need wifi to travel miles for some kind of experiment (stuck in a valley etc) you dont really need to consider parabolic imho, Here is a yaggi ( my recomendation ) Yaggis travel far and have a useable beamwidth.
    Yes, I'm looking to have one that would travel miles. Every time I asked about one that would travel miles I get a HAHAHA answer saying There is no such thing. They as to be a thing. This yagi I seen in other threads but did not think it's really that good from how much dBi it as. Don't get me wrong I know its good but I'm looking for the best of the best. One that would travel miles. Do you know if I can buy some type of splitter so I can hook up more then one on the alfa adapter? Would the splitter make it where you would loose power? I just would like to know what all I would need to have and wifi adapter that would travel for miles.

Thank You for your answer's

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Well, your question slightly confuses me, if you want a mobile antenna i.e wardriving, I do not see why you would want it directional at all? If wardriving is the case then you want a small full on omni directional high gain antenna like this.

Now maybe when you say mobile, you mean small but also directional/semi directional for applications like reaching far away hotspots whilst on holiday etc, in which case I use this which is a great WNIC (wireless network interface card) and is fully compatible with BT4 using the zd1211rw driver.

You can also purchase the WNIC above in antenna form (to use your alfa with) check here I cannot vouch for these has I have not used one yet.

I also have one of these
    Which I deem, a semi directional mini panel antenna Which I take with my alfa on holidays etc with me. I cant praise the pre mentioned antenna highly enough.

Now remember coax cable will always diminish gain, so longer usb cables and shorter coax is preferred, that about sums up my post, but any more questions are happily welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by StreaM View Post
    Yes, I'm looking to have one that would travel miles. Every time I asked about one that would travel miles I get a HAHAHA answer saying There is no such thing. They as to be a thing. This yagi I seen in other threads but did not think it's really that good from how much dBi it as. Don't get me wrong I know its good but I'm looking for the best of the best. One that would travel miles. Do you know if I can buy some type of splitter so I can hook up more then one on the alfa adapter? Would the splitter make it where you would loose power? I just would like to know what all I would need to have and wifi adapter that would travel for miles.

Thank You for your answer's
    The answer to your question is very complex. Let me start by saying for the people that laugh at you when you speak about a couple mile wifi link, I suggest you link them to this page, which shows a 125 mile unamplified wifi link, or this page which shows a record breaking 237 mile wifi link.

Now I am going to answer your question simply and directly, only adding that what ever antenna you use is only 1 side of the transmission, if you really want to reach insane distances both sides of transmission need to be boosted. Now your question, which antenna can you buy that will reach the furthest, well thats simple, the highest dbi rated parabolic you can find with the thinnest beamwidth, this is about the best your going to find commercially and cheaply and is, in the right situation, easily capable of a few miles of transmission.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 05-04-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: to add a comma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast