Thread: Hacking Admin Account of Wireless Router

Default Hacking Admin Account of Wireless Router

Ok so I am wondering if it is possible for someone to hack my admin info I set on my Linksys WRT54G v8. I know I have had to reset the router before to set it back to default but is it possible for someone to remotely reset my router or possibly hack the password if they already gained access to my network? And no I do not use the default admin pass it is also a very long/secure pass so I wouldn't be worried about a guess or a bruteforce on it. The reason I ask is the other day I kept losing my wireless signal and then would no longer even see my network listed. I had to reset my router 3 or 4 times and then change the encryption pass and the admin pass just in case. Maybe it was just my router bugging out or something. Any ideas if this is possible?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Hacking Admin Account of Wireless Router

there is a simple video about it ; ADSL modem hacking on Vimeo

Very interesting link but it does not really pertain to my question. The password I am concerned about is the actual router admin password not the DSL user id/password. I am on cable anyway so I dont have to worry about that. Anyone else know of anything?

There are a couple exploits for the wrt-54g. Your may be exploitable depending on what version of the firmware you have. You could try exploiting it with MSF3 using:

linksys_apply_cgi

Description:
    This module exploits a stack overflow in apply.cgi on the Linksys
    WRT54G and WRT54GS routers. According to iDefense who discovered
    this vulnerability, all WRT54G versions prior to 4.20.7 and all
    WRT54GS version prior to 1.05.2 may be be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Any ideas if this is possible?
    Yes it is possible.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

There are known exploits for WRT54G v8, patch it up with the latest firmware.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    There are known exploits for WRT54G v8, patch it up with the latest firmware.
    Yea, but what kind of dumb ass would put a wireless router directly attached to the internet? If it's the same exploit I read about a few months ago, that's really the only way they are vulnerable.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, but what kind of dumb ass would put a wireless router directly attached to the internet? If it's the same exploit I read about a few months ago, that's really the only way they are vulnerable.
    The kind that asks questions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    is it possible for someone to remotely reset my router or possibly hack the password if they already gained access to my network?
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    The kind that asks questions like this.
    LOL how would I be considered a dumbass for asking that question? Maybe you didnt quite understand what I was saying. Here is the scenario, someone cracks my encryption password and connects to my wireless network. They then attempt to access my router control panel via its default IP but are asked for the accnt/pass, which has been changed from the default to a very strong password. So now they must somehow crack that account info or somehow reset the router to the default account without having physical access to the actual router. And the point of my question was to find out if it was possible, how it is done if it is, and to find any resources on the topic.

@ Barry:

Not really sure what you mean considering the main purpose for wireless routers is to be connected to a cable/dsl modem for access to the internet, I am assuming that is what you mean by being connected directly to the internet. For a home user that is exactly how its always used. Maybe you just said that wrong and meant something else.

Dusty thanks for the info on that exploit.

Just burned his ISO

Forgive my ignorance but how would one connect a home network to internet? I thought it went, internet -- modem -- router -- computer(s)?

Or should I go, internet -- modem -- firewall(linux box w/iptables) -- router -- computer(s)?

Just so I am not called a dumb xxx too?