Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD, Video, Author, Burn and BackUp CD/DVDs

Just burned his ISO

Question DVD, Video, Author, Burn and BackUp CD/DVDs

Hello Newbie here,

I am in the process of replacing my Debian and Fedora boxes with Backtrack 4 final as my primary daily desktop. With that said, I would like to install all of the following programs in Backtrack 4 final:

Code:
    * Avidemux
    Avidemux is a very good video editor

* Sound-Juicer
    Sound Juicer is a CD ripping tool. It supports flac, oga, mp3, wav and spx output formats. 

* k3b
    Probably the best Linux CD/DVD burning program. 
    To enable all encoding features and programs for k3b
    also install k3b-extras-freeworld vcdimager normalize transcode lame lame-libs'

* k9copy
    K9copy is the linux version of DVDshrink.
    also install libdvdread libdvdnav lsdvd'

* DeVeDe
    DeVeDe is a very good dvd authoring tool. It allows you to convert any type of video format to DVD so that you can watch it in any player you like.

* dvd::rip
    DVD::rip is an utility for ripping your DVDs in Linux
    - Can anyone please advise if any of the above are compatible in Backtrack 4 final or if they will cause errors with their dependencies?

- Please advise where and how to install them? (or are they as simple as running the install command from the repos like in Debian & Fedora?) (Does BT have 3rd party repos, i.e Ubuntu - or is that a slap on the hand move?)

If you have any personal experience with any of the above or know of any better application, please feel free to comment or advise.

Thanx in advance!

P.S. - would be an awesome tutorial (extremely useful & convenience as well) to have all these multi-media apps in one post. including vlc, mplayer, smplayer, etc. etc - even though these are very simple to install (looking at it with newbie eyes

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: DVD, Video, Author, Burn and BackUp CD/DVDs

Well first of all, as you have stated you are a beginner with BT, which in itself says a lot.
    I would suggest you not use BT as your "daily" OS. It was not really built with this in mind. Especially for a beginner to linux. However it does not mean that you can't do it.
    Second we will be waiting on you to make this tutorial. Once you figure out the basics of linux (which are available the internet over) then feel free to post one. As for better applications this is very subjective and as such opinions are like; well you know. In the mean time I wrote a tutorial just for you, I encourage you to look at it and start working through some of the information provided by it.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html

If you can get those to ubuntu and those doesnt require gnome those should work.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Well first of all, as you have stated you are a beginner with BT, which in itself says a lot.
    I would suggest you not use BT as your "daily" OS. It was not really built with this in mind. Especially for a beginner to linux. However it does not mean that you can't do it.
    Second we will be waiting on you to make this tutorial. Once you figure out the basics of linux (which are available the internet over) then feel free to post one. As for better applications this is very subjective and as such opinions are like; well you know. In the mean time I wrote a tutorial just for you, I encourage you to look at it and start working through some of the information provided by it.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Wow, thank you for the inspirational thoughts and warm welcome!

New to BT doesn't mean new to Linux. I was merely asking whether these application would break my BT box if I proceeded installing them.

Anyone... please, If I was out of line in any way, shape or form. Forgive me.

I completely understand moderators go through hell answering the same newbie questions over and over again, but I don't feel my question was inadequate at all. Again, I apologize, if it was. Sorry.

I had no intentions of telling anyone what to do. A tutorial suggestion would only eliminate a ton of "BT newbie" questions for all - specially moderators.

I really hope I now don't get banned for this post.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_from_NJ View Post
    Wow, thank you for the inspirational thoughts and warm welcome!
    New to BT doesn't mean new to Linux. I was merely asking whether these application would break my BT box if I proceeded installing them.
    Anyone... please, If I was out of line in any way, shape or form. Forgive me.
    I completely understand moderators go through hell answering the same newbie questions over and over again, but I don't feel my question was inadequate at all. Again, I apologize, if it was. Sorry.
    I had no intentions of telling anyone what to do. A tutorial suggestion would only eliminate a ton of "BT newbie" questions for all - specially moderators.
    I really hope I now don't get banned for this post.
    First and foremost unless you directly violate the rules of this forum then you probably won't get banned. Now as for the rest. It can be hard to say whether or not what you are asking is possible. More that likely it is.
    However your hardware, the above software, and your knowledge on adding packages to linux can go a long way. You might install one of the above mentioned packages and things may indeed get broke. Generally speaking though these things can be fixed. Now again the developer have a specific use in mind when it comes to BT. As it stands one of the lower priorities are the packages you mentioned. I would suggest that you check the repo to see if they are available most likely they are. If you want a good distro to play media on then get one of the many others already made for such use. If you are wanting to use BT for penetration testing then most of the above mentioned packages are not even needed. I would even recommend that if you are wanting to learn some of the tools plus have the ability to burn dvds' and all the other jazz then grab ubuntu and install whatever tool/s you want to learn about. Not only do you get the experience of adding packages to your distro, but then you can mess around with them as well.

Good luck.

depends what you want from this BT as a desktop. Do you really need all those tools in BackTrack for everyday use? Programs like chntpw, aircrack-ng, medusa, ophcrack are in the ubuntu repo's. Surely you'd think that BackTrack may do a better job at some of these tasks but for a daily OS for multimedia, internet and all the rest, I'd even dual boot or persistant install on a USB.

It may sound great and all having BT as a desktop install but in reality it might be a bit over the top for what you're after...?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_from_NJ View Post
    Can anyone please advise if any of the above are compatible in Backtrack 4 final or if they will cause errors with their dependencies?

- Please advise where and how to install them? (or are they as simple as running the install command from the repos like in Debian & Fedora?) (Does BT have 3rd party repos, i.e Ubuntu - or is that a slap on the hand move?)

If you have any personal experience with any of the above or know of any better application, please feel free to comment or advise.

Thanx in advance!

P.S. - would be an awesome tutorial (extremely useful & convenience as well) to have all these multi-media apps in one post. including vlc, mplayer, smplayer, etc. etc - even though these are very simple to install (looking at it with newbie eyes
    The only way that anyone is going to know whether any of these things will work in BackTrack is via testing them, and given that BackTrack is a distribution focused on penetration testing its quite likely that this just hasn't happened yet for these particular tools. So if you want to see if they work its likely you will need to test them yourself.

Try and install them from the repository - "apt-cache search <blah>" and "apt-get install <blah>" are some helpful commands. There are a large number of packages in the repos brought over from Ubuntu, some of which are really quite random and have nothing to do with penetration testing (e.g. I installed pokerth - Texas Holdem Poker recently after a post here aroused my interest and made me go looking for it) so there's a good chance that these applications may be there.

If you cant find them in the repository you could try and install from source or obtain a .deb package from the Ubuntu 8.10 repo (although there is a chance that you may run into dependancy issues if you do this).

Personally I think there are better choices for a daily use Linux system if you're not going to be doing a lot of security work with your box.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

To echo what everyone else has said, Backtrack, being heavily customized for pentest/security purposes, is not really everyday OS material, IMO. The specific packages you want to install will probably require you tracking down .debs from Ubuntu's repos. Just keep in mind that you may run into compatibility issues, and that you will probably need to install a lot of codecs (as well as CLI media converters like ffmpeg, transcode, mencoder, etc.) to get any use out of those programs.

That being said, best of luck to you!

[QUOTE=Newbie_from_NJ;8735]Wow, thank you for the inspirational thoughts and warm welcome!

New to BT doesn't mean new to Linux.{/QUOTE]

then why don't you just compile from source?
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Just burned his ISO

Question Re: DVD, Video, Author, Burn and BackUp CD/DVDs

why dont you just dual boot it alongside ubuntu?
    i admit i only used backtrack for a week now but thats more then enough to know that its a hackers tool and not your everyday user OS unless you're an everyday hacker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast