Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue connecting to internet BT4

Just burned his ISO

Default Issue connecting to internet BT4

Hey, I'm new here and new with BackTrack. I've used a ton of different linux distros in the past, but never really went all the way with them =/ I like trying different flavours :P

Anyways, for the last few days I've been working to get BackTrack 4 running on Virtual Box. I think I've been searching around for about a week and haven't really gotten anywhere. I'm trying to connect through a wired PPPoE connection. After running start-network it is telling me that I am connected to a wired network, and when I try to ping google's IP address, visit a website or download (apt-get) anything it attempts to but gets nowhere. Now, this isn't copy and paste... so bare with me. These are the results of ifconfig

Code:
    Link encap:Ethernet   HWaddr 08:00:27:97:09:80
    inet addr:192.168.1.103   Bcast:192.168.1.255   Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr:   fec0::8:a00:27ff:fe97:980/64  Scope:Site
    inet6 addr:   2002:453f:3d18:8:a00:27ff:fe97:980/64  Scope:Global
    inet6 addr:   fe80::a00:27ff:fe97:980/64  Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST    MTU:1500   Mectric:1
    RX packets:117   errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0   frame:0
    RX packets:315   errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0   carrier:0
    collistions:0  txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:15176  (15.1 KB)   TX bytes:28623  (28.6 KB)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xd020

Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr:  ::1/128  Scope:host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
    RX packets:54   errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0   frame:0
    RX packets:54   errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0   carrier:0
    collistions:0  txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3308  (3.3 KB)   TX bytes:3308  (3.3 KB)
    Tell me any more info you need and anything you want me to test Sorry, I know this and questions like it have been asked before but I've been searching for awhile now to no avail. Thanks for any help

Also: I don't have internet through that but obviously I can transfer off my flash drive.

How have you setup the Network adaptor in VirtualBox? Bridged, NAT, Internal?

Is your default route ('route' command) and DNS server (cat /etc/resolv.conf) setup correctly in BackTrack?

Im assuming the that VirtualBox host system has Internet access? Does that system have a firewall?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I forgot to mention (sorry) I ran the first OS I saw (openSUSE) on my Virtual Box and it booted the internet immediately without me having to run anything and I was able to ping, browse etc. using the same settings as my BackTrack box

OK. Im asuming you started the networking service on BackTrack?

Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    If so you still want to check the default route and DNS server.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

yeah, I have started the networking...

As for the routing, what exactly am I looking for to make sure it is proper and as for the DNS it looks as though that MIGHT be a problem, it looks like it is somehow set to my old ISP... I'm trying to figure out the nameserver and domain of my current one and see if that works...

Just burned his ISO

Alright, so a little bit further in, I opened up SUSE again and did a route and checked the resolv.conf file.

The Route on SUSE sent back
    10.0.2.2 with * as the gateway, 255.255.255.0 genmask with 0 metric
    default with 10.0.2.2 as the gatway, 0.0.0.0 as the genmask with 0 metric
    There was also link-local and loopback, don't know if they are important. * gateway and 255.255.0.0 and 255.0.0.0

The Route on BT4 sent back
    192.168.1.103 * 255.255.255.0 with 202 Metric
    default 102.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 with 202 metric

The resolv.conf on SUSE had
    Code:
    search phub.net.cable.rogers.com
    nameserver 199.166.6.2
    nameserver 209.239.11.98
    nameserver 64.71.255.198
    The resolv.conf on BT4 had
    Code:
    domain phyb.net.cable.rogers.com
    nameserver 64.71.255.198
    I tried doing a nano on the resolv to add in the missing name servers to no avail (on reboot it reset to what is was before)

As for the Route differences, how exactly would I alter that? I tried, doubtfully, to set it as a static IP in wicd... But that didn't seem right.

So I think the issue might lie with the routing.

Thanks for the help so far

It depends on how you have the networking setup for your virtual machine.

In NAT mode for example, the DNS server and default route (the route for network 0.0.0.0) will point to an IP address within the private network setup by VirtualBox for NAT. If you are in bridged mode they should point to the same addresses as your VirtualBox host.

Check what your OpenSUSE virtual machine was set to and ensure the same is set for BackTrack.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFlam3 View Post
    As for the Route differences, how exactly would I alter that? I tried, doubtfully, to set it as a static IP in wicd... But that didn't seem right.

So I think the issue might lie with the routing.

Thanks for the help so far
    The 'route' command can be used to set the default gateway. Check the man page, there is an example command in there for doing this.

Just burned his ISO

Well, I did the command sudo route add default gw 10.0.2.2 and with eth0 on the end and it responds with SIOCADDRT: No such process

But eth0 WAS working, on SUSE and it looked like it was being picked up by BT4. I've been looking around but it seems everything is for wireless or sends out more errors than I'm getting... Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Google for that error message - theres lots of information available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast