Thread: Someone please teach me about networking

Just burned his ISO

Default Someone please teach me about networking

I have been having trouble connecting to the wireless router(netgear wgr614). I before i connect, i have perfect signal, but when i connect, it goes down to a weak signal. this happens even when i am standing right next to the router. Can someone help me solve this problem? When i connect with Vista(on my hd), i get a message that says "connecton is taking longer than usual". I get the same problem with the weak signal in bt4. I have wpa2 with 25+ charac. passphrase. I have Firestarter on bt4 and McAfee on Vista. I have ust recently started having this problem, but have not made any changes to my router settings(except passwd). My router logs say it is connecting to the internet through 192.168.100.1, but that is not my normal ip for cable setup. what is going on and how do i stop it?

Developer

Please post in the correct section & please review the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up here specifically the sections on new member posting and double posting.

You haven't specified what wireless chipset you have.

You haven't indicated any attempts to connect to the router using wired connection and its results.

Just burned his ISO

i have been able to connect to the router through ethernet cable. I just viewed my log and it shows that the same minute, yes the minute, that i created a new passphrase, wpa2 25+ charec., someone logged in to the first ip address assigned. the mac address was not any of mine. Then the same ip address showed DOS attack: storm seconds later. I can get on sometimes through the wireless, but it only works sometimes. I have contacted the authorities, US, but they seemed not so concerned since i have not lost money yet. I contacted my ISP, but they said contact the router company. I would like to know what is going on. I now you guys at this forum are great at this kind of thing.
    To pureh@te: sorry about the double post. I got logged off during the first one, so i had no idea if it was posted or not.

I forgot to tell you the wlan card. I have a broadcom that works on other wireless networks in BT4. I also use a Hawking USB that is capable of packet injection according to the aircrack site. Both cards work with BT4. They just don't work with my router anymore. I have used them with BT4 with the same router, and it worked just fine. Not a compatibility issue. Thy stall when obtaining an ip address through wicd. I have tried to connect manually, with wpa_supplicant and iwconfig, but it does not connect. I have googled the DOS attack : storm, but i keep getting packet storm website and bug reports in other routers. The router logs also show a lan connection from some ip to one of mine at some port, but i think that might be a torrent.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Use the edit button instead of making multiple consecutive posts.
    Furthermore thread titles such as "help" etc are not in tolerance with the rules.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.