Thread: MSF3 cannot update

Default MSF3 cannot update

From what i can tell updating MSF3 from fast-track is very much broken. Would this have anything to do with the fact that /pentest/exploits/framework3 is actually a symlink to /opt/metasploit3/msf3 i keep getting errors about unversioned copies of files being present:

"A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/01_all_exploits_have_payloads_test.rb
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/04_task_manager_test.rb
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/rakefile
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/00_create_all_modules_test.rb
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/03_range_walker_test.rb
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/02_nmap_import_test.rb
    A /pentest/exploits/framework3/test/tests/testbase.rb
    svn: Failed to add file '/pentest/exploits/framework3/plugins/nexpose.rb': an unversioned file of the same name already exists"

initially it was complaining about files in the tests dir, so i moved tests to tests.backup and it went alright from there. However, as you can see above plugins seems to have the same issue.

Renamed plugins, tried to update again, got to this:

"Updating Metasploit....
    U /pentest/exploits/framework3/msfelfscan
    U /pentest/exploits/framework3/external/source/metsvc/test.rb
    U /pentest/exploits/framework3/external/source/shellcode/windows/x86/build.py
    U /pentest/exploits/framework3/external/source/shellcode/windows/x86/src/single/alloc_execute.asm
    svn: Failed to add directory '/pentest/exploits/framework3/external/source/exploits/CVE-2009-3867': a versioned directory of the same name already exists"

anyone have any idea whats going on here? I even tried reinstalling the framework3 package through apt-get, no dice

EDIT:
    reinstalled from repo again, went into the msf3 dir and ran svn update. same problem:

"root@unknown:/opt/metasploit3/msf3# svn update
    D test/tests/01_all_exploits_have_payloads.rb
    D test/tests/00_create_all_modules.rb
    D test/tests/02_nmap_import.rb
    svn: Failed to add file 'test/tests/01_all_exploits_have_payloads_test.rb': an unversioned file of the same name already exists"

EDIT2:
    did some reading on the files/directories existing already and it was suggested to do an svn update *, seemed to work @ first, but now i'm getting versionned directory error. something is horribly wrong here

"root@unknown:/opt/metasploit3/msf3# svn up *
    U README
    Updated to revision 8044.
    D data/sql/sqlite.sql
    D data/sql/mysql.sql
    D data/sql/postgres.sql
    svn: Failed to add directory 'data/sql/migrate': a versioned directory of the same name already exists"

EDIT 3:
    had to remove /opt/metasploit3 and reinstall the package, then run msfupdate. That finally worked. Interestingly enough msfupdate wasnt working after all the mangling i did with svn up. Looks like the initial issue here was caused by fast-track trying to upgrade msf3 via svn up as opposed to msfupdate. if anyone else runs into this issue, might be prudent to remove the dir in opt, reinstall the package, and msfupdate instead of letting fast-track try.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.