Thread: ShutDown problems

Just burned their ISO

Default ShutDown problems

Well I have installed this great system in a 8GB stick and was able to boot from it just fine, however it only provides a log off button from KDE not a shut down like BT3. So when in the command line I issue a shutdown now command but it ends up in a splash screen that has no shutdown option so I have to shutdown the machine using the power button I am afraid that this will eventually corrupt the installation and have to start all over. Does anyone have a solution to gracefully shutdown?

Thanks in advance

You mentioned you tried the shutdown command, did you try it as follows:

Code:
    shutdown -h now
    Thats the command I use to shutdown my USB install of BT4 Prefinal, and it works fine....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

in konsole type

for power off your machine
    poweroff
    for restart
    restart
    -f is force so!
    poweroff -f
    restart -f
    I haven't try this at home but...
    Agregar un boton ''apagado'' a la barra de tareas
    1) Haga clic derecho sobre la barra de tareas.
    2) Vaya a "Add application to panel"
    3) En el sub-menú, seleccione "Add non-KDE Application"
    4) En el campo de título del botón: "Apagar" como su etiqueta.
    5) En el campo Descripción: "Apague el sistema"
    6) En el campo Ejecutable, haga clic en el icono de la carpeta a la derecha del campo y vaya a /sbin/poweroff y seleccione "OK" (si usted tiene un disco duro o instalacion USB, puede que tenga que colocar el comando sudo delante de /sbin/poweroff, por ejemplo: "sudo / sbin / poweroff")
    7) Marque la casilla "Run in terminal window" (esto es necesario para los usuarios ''sudo'', que tendrá que introducir su contraseña en la pantalla de la terminal).

Saludos! x7uk
    source http://forums.remote-exploit.org/gui...de-tareas.html

Google Translate

Just burned their ISO

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'll try these solutions tonight.

Manulu Saludos gracias.

prowl3r

@ manulu

Why you keep posting replies in spanish?

We appreciate your language skills, however you now have your own sub-forum for that.

Can you imagine the mess should everyone post replies using their own language?

Just burned their ISO

Thanks for the commands worked like a charm. I wonder if the shutdown options will be included in the final version.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simplepr View Post
    Thanks for the commands worked like a charm. I wonder if the shutdown options will be included in the final version.
    The command above are available in all linux distros.
    Maybe you mean a button in your menu somewhere.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by simplepr View Post
    It is, but it doesn't work when you start the GUI manually using startx. If you actually configure your system to boot to a GUI by installing something like kdm, you will get the Shutdown and Restart options via the KDE menu. When you start the GUI via startx you only get the Logoff option.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.