Thread: [ask] antivirus on backtrack

Just burned his ISO

Default [ask] antivirus on backtrack

Dear All,

can u help me ?????

what's the suitable's antivirus for backtrack????

please help.....

thanx b4.......

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

If you want an AntiVirus for backtrack you shouldn't be using this distribution. It's a harsh truth, but you obviously do not know what you are doing.

Now that I've taken the time to read your other posts, I know for a fact that you do not know what you are doing.

Learn Linux first, sign up for an account on the Ubuntu forums. Install Ubuntu. Learn it, live it, love it.

Once you've spent a few months with Ubuntu and can do the following, then you can take a look at coming back to Backtrack*

• Determine which port a USB device is plugged into
    • Create an alias IP address on a wired interface via 'ifconfig'
    • Produce a list of the 2nd field of items in /etc/passwd using awk
    • Create a ppp connection from the command line

The items are a little random, but they are a brief way of making you get a broader knowledge of basic linux commands and operations.

Along the way you will pick up answers to questions you hadn't yet asked.

*Note: This is all the opinion of one person and does not in any way reflect the team at offsec or the official position of the moderators
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Norton 360, hands down. E-mail them. They might not have a Linux version but I'm sure they'll find a way of selling you something.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Don't forget to also update your kernel and all the software that came bundled with bt4.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Norton 360, hands down. E-mail them. They might not have a Linux version but I'm sure they'll find a way of selling you something.
    Seriously ????? I mean no advice is better than bad advice. Backtrack (or even linux for that matter) does not need antivirus. There are a few select times or reasons when its appropriate such as cases where a linux mailserver is handling mail for a windows based network but other than that is highly unnecessary.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Sorry I just re-read my post now and it seems as though my sarcasm didn't really get put to paper too well.

Just to clarify, I was taking the piss.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Seriously ????? I mean no advice is better than bad advice. Backtrack (or even linux for that matter) does not need antivirus. There are a few select times or reasons when its appropriate such as cases where a linux mailserver is handling mail for a windows based network but other than that is highly unnecessary.
    Your right and if you still want one try out ClamAv, it's rely a good antivirus witch works on all plateforms.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoogY View Post
    Your right and if you still want one try out ClamAv, it's rely a good antivirus witch works on all plateforms.
    All of these suggestions might be fine and dandy, but one needs to remember that some of the tools in BT may be recognized as virii or malware.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    All of these suggestions might be fine and dandy, but one needs to remember that some of the tools in BT may be recognized as virii or malware.
    Uhh, there's no may about it!