Thread: help with wireless

Just burned his ISO

Post help with wireless

im running a rt2500usb well im trying to connect to my wireless when i start network manager it shows its working and i see my router but when i go to connect it wont any thoughts why ?

Try using the command line and then you will be able to get a better idea of what the problem is. If you still have problems post back with the commands you used and the results you got.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

well i mean the problem isnt getting wicd to start up its me trying to stay connected to my router its like i connect then dis connect. but didnt fully understand what you mean about using the command line are you saying i can connect to my router threw the command line? you might have to spoon feed me this help. lol sorry im really new trying to figure this all out. but thank you for helping me

Quote Originally Posted by chances View Post
    well i mean the problem isnt getting wicd to start up its me trying to stay connected to my router its like i connect then dis connect. but didnt fully understand what you mean about using the command line are you saying i can connect to my router threw the command line? you might have to spoon feed me this help. lol sorry im really new trying to figure this all out. but thank you for helping me
    Im saying that you can configure your wireless network connection through the command line, yes. Im not particularly big on spoon feeding, but I will say that if you search the forums and the 'Net you should be able to find relevant information. Its an oft repeated topic on this forum.

I'll also add the obligatory spiel about how BackTrack is an advanced Linux distribution and you need some Linux skills to be able to use it. If you don't have Linux skills already there is a thread in the Newbie forum just for you. You could also try and use Ubuntu for a bit until you get familiar with Linux. Be aware that trying to ask too many questions here without being willing to spend the time to build your Linux skills is likely to get you some pretty short responses.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Im saying that you can configure your wireless network connection through the command line, yes. Im not particularly big on spoon feeding, but I will say that if you search the forums and the 'Net you should be able to find relevant information. Its an oft repeated topic on this forum.

I'll also add the obligatory spiel about how BackTrack is an advanced Linux distribution and you need some Linux skills to be able to use it. If you don't have Linux skills already there is a thread in the Newbie forum just for you. You could also try and use Ubuntu for a bit until you get familiar with Linux. Be aware that trying to ask too many questions here without being willing to spend the time to build your Linux skills is likely to get you some pretty short responses.
    i understand completely im not trying to ask to many questions im sorry. but ya i did search all day today and didnt find much all i can think is that i might be my driver that is keeping me from connecting to my router cause when i log onto ubuntu it connects fine. but for some reason it wont connect in bt4. but ya i am new and i did read some of the begginers guides i caught on a little but its just kinda hard for me to learn when i cant connect to the internet on backtrack once i get that internet going ill be good. but belive me i am serching for the anwsers im not trying to get them hand to me im just stuck.. still trying tho...

Quote Originally Posted by chances View Post
    i understand completely im not trying to ask to many questions im sorry. but ya i did search all day today and didnt find much all i can think is that i might be my driver that is keeping me from connecting to my router cause when i log onto ubuntu it connects fine. but for some reason it wont connect in bt4. but ya i am new and i did read some of the begginers guides i caught on a little but its just kinda hard for me to learn when i cant connect to the internet on backtrack once i get that internet going ill be good. but belive me i am serching for the anwsers im not trying to get them hand to me im just stuck.. still trying tho...
    Theres a good guide on how to use the command line to configure a network connection here at the old wiki. It was written for BT3 but works fine on 4.

Just burned his ISO

o.k thanks i read through it and understood it i thought i tired some of the commands and this is what i got back heres one i tired (ifconfig ath0 up

To connect to an 'open' wireless access point (AP):

iwconfig ath0 essid 'nameofnetwork'

The 'nameofnetwork' is your Service Set IDentifer (SSID). That is the name of your network. )
    which mines wlan0 .
    but the code i got back was. Error for wireless request "Set Essid" (8b1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

hope i didnt give u a bunch of crap back lol

o.k haha i have no clue what i did but im connected now i will keep trying but thank you. you pointed me in the right direction ima go over the steps i did to find out what i did that worked lol. but ya thanks again ure great