Thread: No apt-get or yum

Just burned his ISO

Default No apt-get or yum

I have downloaded the usb version of backtrack 3 and installed it on my hard drive. I need to install some packages, but I cannot find apt-get, yum, or dkpg. Every time I try to use one it tells me "-bash: apt-get: command not found" I would prefer to not download anything big like bt4 seeing how I am not at home and internet is not the best where I am. Does anyone have a solution for installing apt-get not through yum? Or if I need to compile something. Thank you for any help.

Developer

bt3 is based off of slackware which uses the package manager slapt-get which pretty much sucks. You will be best of getting bt4 pre final or building whatever you need from source.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the info. I still don't have slapt-get, but I will look into getting bt4 when I get back to my house. Any ides on why i don't have slapt-get too?

prowl3r

Quote Originally Posted by nnicnac17 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I still don't have slapt-get, but I will look into getting bt4 when I get back to my house. Any ides on why i don't have slapt-get too?
    Because you need to install it from fast-track first, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Now, be smart and follow pureh@te advice and move to bt4 pre.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnicnac17 View Post
    I don't believe you understood what pureh@te was talking about.
    BT3 has slapt-get as it's package manager.
    BT4 use apt-get as it's package manager.
    If you want to use bt3 then you will need to learn slapt-get.
    But it is best to upgrade since bt4 is the latest, greatest, etc.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the advice, I understood exactly what pureh@te was saying and I didn't have slapt-get either. It wasn't on my computer period, just like apt-get. I don't know why this is because I have been working with bt3 for 3 months now and I have never downloaded it and found it missing a package manager. I am upgrading to Back|Track 4 now, but thanks for the replies.