Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backtrack doesn't recognize the wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default backtrack doesn't recognize the wireless card

Hi,

why does not backtrack 3 recognize my wireless card , i inserted the card , but the wireless assistant shows nothing . My card is 802.11g wireless minipci card .Does backtrack support it or not ?

thank you

I look into my crystal ball and see nothing
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vanessssa View Post
    Hi,

why does not backtrack 3 recognize my wireless card , i inserted the card , but the wireless assistant shows nothing . My card is 802.11g wireless minipci card .Does backtrack support it or not ?

thank you
    Next time please be more vague and tell us the model of card you are using.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Next time please be more vague and tell us the model of card you are using.
    tell me some programes that will show me the model of the card , because programmes like everest , driver magician , driver genuis , do not define the model of the card , or show just this - 802.11g wireless minipci card ..They give me correct informaton about model of ram, processor, hard drivers and so on .

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

tell me some programes that will show me the model of the card , because programmes like everest , driver magician , driver genuis , do not define the model of the card , or show just this - 802.11g wireless minipci card ..They give me correct informaton about model of ram, processor, hard drivers and so on .
    If you are using a linux variant then try lspci lsusb those command will help get you started. Try also inputting your computer/laptop model info into google and then looking there as well.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Most laptops have an access door for the wifi card. They usually say on them who makes them.

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

If its an internal card try "lspci | grep Wireless" or something. Once you find out what card is registered if any you can check dmesg to see if there were any errors while initializing the adapter.

For eg if I run "lspci | grep Ethernet" on the laptop I'm on at the mo I get

Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    I can see that this laptop has an internal Atheros AR5001 Wireless network adapter. Now I know what card I'm using I can start debugging the error.

If that fails you can unscrew your laptop and take a look at what wireless device you have. Or if your using an external device, you can check dmesg for errors etc.

Once you have this information you can start looking on the web or posting all the information here and I'm sure you will find the answers you seek, but you wont if you don't even post what make or manufacturer of the card you are trying to get working. I noticed its a minipci card, this could also mean there's a problem with your minipci port ? I would first plugin your card and give it a few seconds to start. Then checkout dmesg to see if your card is even being acknowledged by the kernel.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    If its an internal card try "lspci | grep Wireless" or something. Once you find out what card is registered if any you can check dmesg to see if there were any errors while initializing the adapter.

For eg if I run "lspci | grep Ethernet" on the laptop I'm on at the mo I get

Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    I can see that this laptop has an internal Atheros AR5001 Wireless network adapter. Now I know what card I'm using I can start debugging the error.

If that fails you can unscrew your laptop and take a look at what wireless device you have. Or if your using an external device, you can check dmesg for errors etc.

Once you have this information you can start looking on the web or posting all the information here and I'm sure you will find the answers you seek, but you wont if you don't even post what make or manufacturer of the card you are trying to get working. I noticed its a minipci card, this could also mean there's a problem with your minipci port ? I would first plugin your card and give it a few seconds to start. Then checkout dmesg to see if your card is even being acknowledged by the kernel.

My USB network adapter is almost the same as your RealTek. Here it is:
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

The result of ipconfig /all in windows gives me the following adapter: Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54MBps USB 2.0 Network Adapter.

but backtrack does not recognize it. Do you have any suggestion?

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

hi im new at this forum & new user of any linux distra XD,i used before Ubuntu but now i got back track 3 final usb...so here is my problem,i have D-Link DWL-G122 ver.3.10(E)usb wlan card(it works fine with ubuntu,arch & windows XP)...when i boot-up back track & start KWlan it offers me to choce one of "WPA supplicant" none of them does not work with my wlan card,if i click cancel wlan works for about 1 minute & then yust "dies"...so i dont understand what is happenind...i opened console & writed airodump-ng rausb0(interface) & it works also for about 1 minute,i see all wlan AP that suround's mee but then sudenly it says "interface rausb0 down" & it dies!!!then i go in wlan assistant & scan & it tells me that "my card has ben switched down from external swith-try turning it on"my wlan card does not have any external switch or something like that...so i was looking here at forum & allot of people have similar problem but i dont know nothing about scripting,i know to workaround little in console but im not expirienced user that i could find my own ways to fix this kind of problem...could anyone give me someking custom wpa supllicant script so i can use it instead of those that are listed in KWlan or if u have some sort of path for this problem???u can write down script here so i will yust copy paste it...thanx in advance & sorry for my bad english!!

Just burned his ISO

I solved problem when i downloaded rt73 patch for wlan cards...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast