Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get BT4 (pr) to recognise Cisco Aironet PCMCIA card

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Cannot get BT4 (pr) to recognise Cisco Aironet PCMCIA card

Hey all.
    I've been browsing these forums for quite a while and finaly decided to register! But straight to the point, I have a Tosh TE2100 using a Cisco Aironet card, however i cannot find any information regarding getting BT4 to use it (if there is a thread on this I appoligise). I've had BT4 for a while now, and have tried everything to get it online, even buying a USB wireless card (which didn't work, figures).

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated, I may even be tempted to give you my first born

Thanks.
    Ww.

There's two different types of cisco aironet that I know of to this date. One is the legacy 802.11b 5V device which will not show up in lspci. These are the real aironet powered chipsets and I would not be putting high hopes of getting them to work well under bt4 for that matter.

Then there's the later version of cisco aironet which is 3.3V and it will show up under lspci as atheros chipset. These devices work on 802.11a/b/g and should work with bt4 without too much issues.

It would help if you tell me exactly which type of card you have. I personally do own older version of cisco aironet (namely 350 series)

Just burned his ISO

I belive it's part of the 350 series, but I'm not sure. It is a Cisco Aironet® (AIR-CB21AG-E-K9) 802.11a/g/b Wireless Adapter. It looks almost identical to the 350 series but without 350 on the sticker, just Cisco Aironet.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, after doing a lot of research, configuring and compiling my kernal, replacing the original with it, creating and installing the modules, Re-installing BT4 (you can tell it went horribly wrong ) and generally feeling quite annoyed that I'd lost 6 hours of my life, It, at no point, acknowledged the fact that i have a wireless card.

I'm getting really desperate here because I would like to start using BT as my main OS, but it's not an option without an internet connection. I'm currently running in VMware, at least untill I can get a solution, then I can install it proper and do the same.

Failing that, it looks like I'm going to be stuck with windows

WW.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well that is why the dev team produces an official guide to updating the kernel so if you did not follow it then you are on your own.
    You could also spend a few dollars and get a better supported card.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I thought I'd followed it to the letter, but aparently not. And I have not seen anything that states my card is not supported (and believe me, I have looked)

WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewolf View Post
    I thought I'd followed it to the letter, but aparently not. And I have not seen anything that states my card is not supported (and believe me, I have looked)

WW.
    That would be the guide from the Off-Sec blog correct?
    And you upgraded to the same kernel version as the one in this guide ?
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

No, It was from elsewhere. The kernel update mentioned in the off-sec blog uses the "get" command, it's a bit of a catch 22 when I don't have a web connection.

WW

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewolf View Post
    No, It was from elsewhere. The kernel update mentioned in the off-sec blog uses the "get" command, it's a bit of a catch 22 when I don't have a web connection.

WW
    So you followed who knows what and now expect us to guess and then help/ correct the problem? I don't get it.
    Why don't you take the time to post a link of the guide you used.
    Better yet get the official one and follow it.
    That way if something goes wrong like you have above we can better help you out.
    That is why the team made a guide in the first place.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    Back|Track Wiki

Just burned his ISO

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. I did bollocks it up, but I've since reinstalled BT, so i'm back to where I was a month ago. I appologise if I didn't make that clear.

As for the guides, nearly all of the ones I have read have assumed that I already have internet access through BT. Most of them take the tone of "now you download the latest X by typing in get-app X or going to [insert generic website here] , niether of which I can do. I admit that I can just "drag and drop" the files into the VM, but this doesn't really solve the underlying problem, as when I install it onto my Hdd I won't be able to do the same.

I am also fully aware that VMware will not support a wireless pcmcia card, only usb (however for some reason VMware decides there is a problem with my usb ports on start up, and kindly disables them for me). I'm not looking to get internet access for BT through VMware, I'm looking for a solution to why it won't pick up my wireless card, which I can practice in VMware and the implement on a proper install.

I would also like to point out that all the problems I am encountering are NOT because of the virtual machine, I have experianced exactly the same problems the last time I did have it properly installed on my machine.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

WW

[edit] Oh, and the guide I was following was on linuxchix.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast