Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot back On Os X after live CD BT4 impossible

Just burned his ISO

Default Boot back On Os X after live CD BT4 impossible

Hello there,

I'm having huge troubles...

I've burn a Live CD of BT4 in order to install it on a USB device.
    Thoses steps are Ok but I can't boot back on my Os X (macbook pro 5,2)

I ve tried :

- alt on starting computer to prompt Booting devices. My Os X doesn't appears and I have the damn Folder and "?" icone.
    - C key to boot my Os X install DVD. Works fine, I can choose my Os X install for boot. But result in Folder and ? icone...
    - alt-p-r to zap... no effect...

I didn't back up weeks of work, and I'm really depressed.

Please help me !

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

I don't know why the hell resetting the PRAM would have something to do with the harddrive, but there it is.

Technically this is a Mac issue, but as I am an apple tech I suppose I could ask the obvious questions: Did you check to see if your partition exists in disk utility? Via the DVD?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

Yeah I didi check via the Os X DVD.

Here is what I did from it :

- Selected my Os X partition on the DD to boot on. Fail. Folder icone.
    - Made a check and repair on the volume. Fail. Folder icone.
    - Installe Os X on my second partition. Fail. Folder icone.

If I don't have a bootable DVD inside, "alt" on restart just give me nothing !

When BT4 DVD's in it, I can Boot on, only because "alt" key give me the link via a "Windows DVD" button...

I didn't have any issue from that point with my laptop. DD's running fine.

Is it possible that this BT4 LIVE DVD had damage something in the booting stuffs of my DD ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemz View Post
    Is it possible that this BT4 LIVE DVD had damage something in the booting stuffs of my DD ?
    Probably not actually. I had a very similar issue just yesterday with bootcamp and a harddrive.

According to my hardware tech your best bet at the moment is to talk to apple. Failing that, try these two things (IN THIS ORDER!):

Open the disk utility in the installer and let it run overnight - it's probably running fsck_hfs in the background and that takes a while to check your HDD out.

Repartition your disk to appropriate size. Boot back from Install DVD and archive/install your disk.

Mod: Can someone stick this in General IT please, it's not a BT4 bugfix

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

OK, i think this will end with those "genius" apple guys.

But :

Why do you think an archive/install procedure on my original partition would end good , if my clean install on my second partition doesn't even boot ??

If you think it could work, i'll do it. But my question is : Will I lose what I have in my "movies", "pictures" "sites" etc.. folders ?

I already ran the Disk Utility Check/Repair stuff. Do you mean I should run it again ?

Verify Disk is already over with OK status and repairing is done too. nothing to repair.

The hard drive looks fine...

OK, i think this will end with those "genius" apple guys.

But :

Why do you think an archive/install procedure on my original partition would end good , if my clean install on my second partition doesn't even boot ??

If you think it could work, i'll do it. But my question is : Will I lose what I have in my "movies", "pictures" "sites" etc.. folders ?

I already ran the Disk Utility Check/Repair stuff. Do you mean I should run it again ?
    Archive and install "shouldn't" delete your stuff, but it's happened before. Do you have another mac to hook your laptop up to in target disk mode? If you can, see if the other mac can see the partition, and if it can, BACK YOUR SHIT UP!!! Then try the reinstall. BackTrack really, really, really isn't supported on Macs.

Just burned his ISO

I have another MacBook, but FW400 vs FW800... bad shit.

I would really love to find out what appened cause I think it may happen to other Mac user... and its so evil !!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Archive and install "shouldn't" delete your stuff, but it's happened before. Do you have another mac to hook your laptop up to in target disk mode?
    Right, and if you do and it shows up in Disk Utility (and what I think is happening is happening) the system will appear to hang.

I suggested an archive and install because it's the first partition - if that partition is buggered then the drive will be fsck'd before it is shown in boot utilities.

Basically, I said it because it's my job to figure this crap out, and if you want my support, you try it.

Just burned his ISO

OK so. I tried, and did not succeed. For the reason I tried to partitionize but can't due to lack of available space. Disk Utility didn't even partitionized it.

So. If I move to a friend house, FW800 Tmode with his machine, back up, and make a clean install... do you this it may works ?

OK so. I tried, and did not succeed. For the reason I tried to partitionize but can't due to lack of available space. Disk Utility didn't even partitionized it.

So. If I move to a friend house, FW800 Tmode with his machine, back up, and make a clean install... do you this it may works ?
    It should. Though if what I think you're saying is what you're saying, you probably messed up the partition information on the disk, in which case you're not going to find it with the other computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast