Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Is this even possible??

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Is this even possible??

    Hi there,


    I hope I will get some insight regarding this from you guys. The scenario is simple. Two houses, we want to connect to each others network, Distance between the two is 4.2 miles!!

    It's countryside and there are not many houses between us but there are lots of trees, pine trees too! Both of our houses are in an elevated area in relation to the land in between. As with any new thing, we bought these "wifi antennas" online and from here and there. We are now thinking that we probably need to build something massive!

    We are pretty sure there are no other wireless networks between us. So we don't have to worry about knocking out anyone. We are not worried about frying the balls either. We just want a stable connection between us!

    We are not very technical but we are confident that we can build and setup anything even if it takes lot of time. We are willing to spend money on any hardware that is required! I have been researching and lot of it pointed to this site and that's why I'm asking here. Is there any other place I should go to?

    What can we do? Is there anything that can be done at this distance? If it's possible, what kind of hardware setup are we looking at? If any of you guys have any experience with this and would like to share, don't hesitate!

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    If you both have internet connections, it would be wiser, cheaper, and more stable to configure a VPN between your two places.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  3. #3
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks for the reply! VPN! Virtual private network I have heard of it before but I must admit I don't have the faintest idea how it works but we will look into it!!

    We would still like to build something though! I'm not sure if you guys would understand where we are coming from. There really isn't a whole lot to do around here. We must get our kicks from stuff like this. I'm afraid we are hopelessly entwined into the whole redneck thing! We are not the smartest people in the continent but we like to build things with our hands... big things.. loud things.. things that seem difficult!

    We have talked about this for a long time now and we would like to build it before the year is over. I have tried my best to wrap my mind around it.. It seem like we would need a big dish which wont be a problem. A powerful wireless card...ampl??? what else? Onryo's pwnbone seemed very interesting!! I'm sure you can see we have no idea what we are doing but that's why we asked!

    Thank you

  4. #4
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! VPN! Virtual private network I have heard of it before but I must admit I don't have the faintest idea how it works but we will look into it!!

    We would still like to build something though! I'm not sure if you guys would understand where we are coming from. There really isn't a whole lot to do around here. We must get our kicks from stuff like this. I'm afraid we are hopelessly entwined into the whole redneck thing! We are not the smartest people in the continent but we like to build things with our hands... big things.. loud things.. things that seem difficult!

    We have talked about this for a long time now and we would like to build it before the year is over. I have tried my best to wrap my mind around it.. It seem like we would need a big dish which wont be a problem. A powerful wireless card...ampl??? what else? Onryo's pwnbone seemed very interesting!! I'm sure you can see we have no idea what we are doing but that's why we asked!

    Thank you
    You admit that you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but you want to undertake setting up a complex wireless link, which involves doing a lot of calculations and is far from just building something and it just plain works.

    Whereas a VPN solution is the quickest, most efficient way and any simpleton should be able to get through doing it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Not to mention you guys could build a forge to melt hard drives like Barry has done. Seems that would help you with your "urge to build something big".
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  6. #6
    Senior Member MikeCa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I recommend googling for "long distance wifi".

    Setting up a VPN sounds like it would be new for you two, try that and you should be able to pat yourselves on the back if you complete it.

  7. #7
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Not to mention you guys could build a forge to melt hard drives like Barry has done. Seems that would help you with your "urge to build something big".
    I was always partial to using thermite and 44 gallon drums on my harddrives. Fill them enough and leave a bit of fuel in the bottom - makes a bang big enough to cause the local law enforcement to show up... even when you are 12 km's out of town.

    A wifi antenna is definitely not on the trick list though.
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  8. #8
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    You boys sure are very discouraging!! negativity!! I'm willing to learn if it means anything!!

    When I started to build my house, I didn't know what I was doing but I'm living in it now. When I started building my desktop, I didn't know the difference between a processor and memory but I'm using it now with my own water cooling mod but I still don't know why it works. I took an old clevo laptop and put a GTX 280M and QX9300 with my own copper heatspreaders for the Memory and my own cooler and works neat but I still dont know why it works! I took a 10 year old keytronic keyboard and put my own spring and rubber dome mod to resemble the topre switches. I have a realforce keyboard here and I cant feel the difference but I still don't know how it works. Pretty much, almost everything I have in this house, I built it myself but I still don't know how any of it works - It was ALL Monkey See, Monkey Do!!!

    In my experience, sometimes things do just work.. You just need to try..What's the point of not trying? You boys forget about calculations and help me something to start with.. Now I have an alfa card and 9dbi antenna - So I just picture this on a bigger scale? Instead of the 9dbi antenna, should I imagine a big dish with a biquad antenna at the end connected to the alfa? Am I thinking in the right direction??? But it cant carry me 4.2 miles.... Where do I go from there??

    Thank you

  9. #9
    Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Crystal Wind
    Posts
    851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    It was ALL Monkey See, Monkey Do!!!
    Ok then, umm, Monkey. Follow the instructions for the cantenna you mentioned earlier and let us know how you go. Find a decent wifi card, it doesn't have to be capable of injection, and some high quality cabling for it, and go nuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    In my experience, sometimes things do just work.. You just need to try..What's the point of not trying?
    I almost got arrested for attempting to build a nuclear power plant in my backyard... you decide

    Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w99 View Post
    You boys forget about calculations and help me something to start with.. Now I have an alfa card and 9dbi antenna - So I just picture this on a bigger scale? Instead of the 9dbi antenna, should I imagine a big dish with a biquad antenna at the end connected to the alfa? Am I thinking in the right direction??? But it cant carry me 4.2 miles.... Where do I go from there??
    It doesn't work like that, which is why were were "discouraging" you and trying to find you other ways of doing things.

    I would recommend toying with Mister House and associated components... now that would be awesome... especially if you could crack your buddies and turn off his hot water during his shower
    Still not underestimating the power...

    There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

  10. #10
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    The pwnbone? You think that's the best way to go about it? I already have the Alfa 1000mw which I'm thinking is sufficient enough? Define "high quality cabling"?

    Almost got arrested?.. So you obviously haven't learned how to get away with stuff properly.. that's the first thing we learn!

    If it doesn't work like that, how does it work then!! Don't worry, As you can tell.. I don't get discouraged..The house is pretty much done with and no longer resemble a house! Besides, you always gotta do new things..otherwise you will be like those city people - doing pretty much the same things day after day, year after year...Now we don't want that, do we!!

    Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •