Thread: BT4 Ubuntu version

Default BT4 Ubuntu version

What version of Ubuntu/Debian is the bt4-pre-final.iso based on?? I have searched this forum and googled it. Is there a command or about window that I can run to tell me? I need to get a better understanding of the OS, therefore, I need to know what version. Ultimately, I will be using BT4 for pen testing to become PCI compliant. Thank you for any help provided.

Junior Member imported_freedom56's Avatar

you can check your version in /etc/debian_version
    BT4 is based on lenny 5.0.x
    "One of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs."

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    you can check your version in /etc/debian_version
    um... this is incorrect. Bt4 is based of Ubunutu 8.10 Intrepid

Thank you for your reply fredom56! Yes, I have verifed that it is lenny 5.0.

It is a bit confusing because the "Backtrack 4 - Definitive Guide" on Offensive-security.com says on page 2
    There have been many changes introduced into BackTrack 4 ‐ most notably, our move to an Ubuntu Intrepid base.
    . Maybe they are referring to a version other than pre final 4??

I wanted to know the version because I wanted to install bleachbit (something is hogging my limited space on my usb). I found that the debian 5 and the Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 versions both work. I assume this is so because Ubuntu is a fork from debian.

Plese feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Thank you for your help

Junior Member imported_freedom56's Avatar

@CBR95403: It appears I was incorrect I would go with pureh@te's answer as he is definitely more knowledgeable than I in this area. If you run:

lsb_release -a it will tell you Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid.

not sure why there is an /etc/debian_version though...
    "One of the main causes for the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs."

Quote Originally Posted by freedom56 View Post
    @CBR95403: It appears I was incorrect I would go with pureh@te's answer as he is definitely more knowledgeable than I in this area. If you run:

lsb_release -a it will tell you Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid.

not sure why there is an /etc/debian_version though...
    Because Ubuntu is based off Debian most likely.

I thought it was because the kernel source was Debian but the packaging was based on Ubuntu? At least I'm pretty sure that's how it was configured in BT4 Beta, I'm not so certain if that was also what was done in BT4 Prefinal. Perhaps pureh@te can clarify?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I thought it was because the kernel source was Debian but the packaging was based on Ubuntu? At least I'm pretty sure that's how it was configured in BT4 Beta, I'm not so certain if that was also what was done in BT4 Prefinal. Perhaps pureh@te can clarify?
    This is correct