Thread: 2 questions - BT4 Pre F. Login & Moto SB5101

Default 2 questions - BT4 Pre F. Login & Moto SB5101

I know there's a gui for the login for Backtrack, I compleatly forgoten how the package was called, any offers ?

Second question :

On a Motorola Surfboard, ive been testing the Manual IP Settings (I am paying my own internet services with a much more higher speed, this is simply to know more about the functions of DNS & DHCP in practice, not theory or books).

I can make the Modem connect, but not surf the web. . . If I believe its the DNS, since it can comunicate with the outside world, but it blocks me out of it.
    Another guess could be the Gateway, it can connect, but it cant find my modem authenticated, so Im looking for vulnerabilities there, by know I know the modem needs to be prepared wit a certificate, but it must have a way around, some exploit or loop.

I once again repeat, learning, no need to be alarmed, I work alone in my house and this is for studying a bit more with backtrack.

In another post I also stated that the modem haves HTTP login vulnerability and also if I wish to use Telnet, I would need to change the router's firmware, wich I cant right now . . .

Ill take it on later, for now, I want a clean work, I also stated when running AutoPwn from FastTrack, there's a certain place that the modem freezes and I have to turn it off and on to regain access/connection to it. Sometimes it reboots by itself, but DHCP is turned off so I have to manualy turn it off and on (this only happens when using AutoPwn, I still have other tools to test out. And im looking to Debug the firmware aswell. Ill give progress soon !
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

The logon screen is called KDM and there is a tutorial if you search the forums about how to set it up to directly go there instead of the commandline.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Developer

Modems are generally authenticated by mac address. Your ISP has whats called a CMTS and each on holds around 65,000 client (*if I remember correctly*). Stealing internet in this way is generally done by cloning a valid mac address. The problem is 2 macs that are the same cant be on the same CMTS, so it turns in to a crap shoot of looking for a mac that works. However due to the massive influx of people stealing internet in this way, security professionals have started to use other methods to find non valid modems with internet thief's behind them. I know this because after giving a short presentation on this to my local ISP I was able to help them secure some methods to prevent and detect it. Also just FYI, unless you own the modem tampering with it is a crime.

Thankx KmDave

------Edit---------------
    The modem was bougth on Ebay for personal use. Yes, im aware about the certificates thing (the protection thing)

So yes, another thing is, that this modem is vulnerable, mind checking that a bit more professionaly , I dont have the skills for it, I know it haves an HTTP Vulnerability, I think its the Passwordless Login, but that doesnt concern me.

Thanks for the info pureh@te !
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB