Thread: BackTrack 4 internet connection problem

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 4 internet connection problem

Hi,
    I've installed BT4 on VMWare at Windows 7. Everything goes ok.
    Everything works perfectly but I can't browse websites. I have connection, I can pings example google.com, etc. But when I open firefox, or apt-get... doesn't see address. Can somebody help me?

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

If the following command succeeds:

Code:
    ping virjacode.com
    then that means your internet connection is working perfectly. It means your routing table is able to find the internet, and it also means that your DNS server is working properly.

If Firefox won't display webpages for you, then the only thing I can think is that you have invalid proxy server settings in your Firefox browser. Open up Firefox and go to Tools->Options->Advanced->Network, then click on the "Settings" button.

If you ever want to set your internet connection at the command line in Linux then here's a guide:

Linux Internet Connection - Virjacode
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

ok, I can ping your address. I've got answers. But, still I can't browse websites, even in Firefox, Konqueror, lynx...
    so.. is it strange problem?! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tomalla View Post
    ok, I can ping your address. I've got answers. But, still I can't browse websites, even in Firefox, Konqueror, lynx...
    so.. is it strange problem?! :-)
    Test DNS is resolving correctly by doing the following:
    Code:
    nslookup virjacode.com
    The response should include 67.205.54.126, otherwise you have a DNS issue. While pinging an address on the Internet directly is usually good enough to do a connectivity test, it is possible to have a DNS server resolving the name to some IP address in your local network in which case the test doesnt tell you anything useful. This is actually fairly unlikely but its worth confirming.

If that works ping the address again just to confirm it still works.

If that is successful test basic conectivity on tcp port 80 to a server on the Internet by doing the following:
    Code:
    nc -vv www.yahoo.com 80
    Then you are looking for a response that includes the following (there will be more text than just this, but it should include whats below):
    Code:
    80 (http) open
    If you get it, type the following in the nc prompt to confirm you can send and receive a response. Yes that is two carriage returns after the "1.0"
    Code:
    HEAD / HTTP/1.0
    You should get multiple lines of text back in response starting with "HTTP/1.1 200 OK".

If the DNS and ping tests are successful a failure of this TCP pot 80 connectivity test could indicate a firewall blocking your connection.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

OK,
    after nc -vv {yahoo adress} 80 I've got this answer:
    Code:
     DNS fwd/rev mismatch: some address from yahoo != another address yahoo
    and still thinking.. so I stopped by CTRL+C

So... what you can tell me now?

Quote Originally Posted by tomalla View Post
    OK,
    after nc -vv {yahoo adress} 80 I've got this answer:
    Code:
     DNS fwd/rev mismatch: some address from yahoo != another address yahoo
    and still thinking.. so I stopped by CTRL+C

So... what you can tell me now?
    It doesnt say "open" afterwards? Try the same thing with another site too (e.g. virjacode.com or this forum), and if it doesnt work then its as I said before, you have an issue with outgoing traffic on TCP port 80. Is there a firewall between you and the Internet filtering your traffic? Do you need to use a proxy? What network are you doing this from?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

i was having the same problem with my Ethernet as well card was recognized but i could not connect from the network manager for some reason and i did some research on the forums and on boot up at the command i entered

/etc/init.d/networking start

then when it was done i entered

startx

and then when the graphical interface was done loading i clicked Firefox and tried to go to Google and it worked just fine, if that doesn't work then I'm not to sure what the problem could be, i myself just got my internet successfully working this morning but i am more than happy to help if i can, i am new to the backtrack community myself, but i catch on to things very quickly.

Just burned his ISO

OK, problem solved. I don't know a reason. I reinstalled BT4, and everything is OK. Internet websites works correctly.
    Thanks to you for helping me.