Thread: Building a cantenna

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Default Building a cantenna

For a while now I have considered building a homemade cantenna. I have finally decided to stop putting this project off, so it was time to do some research.
    After reading several websites and posts about these hi-gain antenna's I finally came across this site.

How to build a tin can waveguide antenna

The author has done some testing, I think they did a good job with what they had but I'm looking for further information. I'm wondering first off whether or not the ripples in a tin can would affect the gain and how?

My next question would be about what material to make this out of? Originally pringles can's were the choice of cheap antenna building, but these aren't built out of metal except for the bottom. Also the pringles can diamater is not large enough. This would leave me to believe that it doesnt matter what kind of material the antenna is built out of. I've taken a look at some commercial products and they seem to be made from aluminum.
    So could I go buy a tube of pvc/aluminum/steel piping at the local hardware store and this should work just as well if not better because then I could get optimal sizes.

I built one out of an alcohol can. I forget which brand it was, but the bottle came in a decorative "non-denominational winter social gathering day" tin. Turned out to be about a millimeter off from the perfect diameter for the center of the 2.4Ghz range. I think I read somewhere the ripples in a soup can can cause some interference, but hey, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

A thread here with some good info and links that was done by member onryo
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/wir...nas-howto.html
    Might prove useful
    Also xploitz did a thread or video on it here as well.
    Check the wireless section.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Thanks for the links and info guys! I have some more reading to do but it seems like not only does it matter what its made of, but different metals will produce different results. Time to check out the hardware store and see what options I have.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Thanks for the links and info guys! I have some more reading to do but it seems like not only does it matter what its made of, but different metals will produce different results. Time to check out the hardware store and see what options I have.
    Use a conductive material, pvc won't cut it.

Smile Cantenna Calculator

lincomatic.com/wireless/homebrewant.html Lincomatic's Homebrew WiFi Antennae