Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Login as Root ?

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Login as Root ?

    Hi,

    I'm newbie of this program. I'm triying to login as a root in backtrack 4 but i can't. Please help me how can i do.

    In the command line what i have to do login as a root.

    Thanks for help.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Welcome to the forums.
    Re-read the rules that you agreed to when you signed up. Also see the "stickied" threads at the top of the newbie section.
    Also don't be afraid to search for yourself both here on the forums and google.
    These things will make your stay more pleasant.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  3. #3
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    I suggest that you try a distro that's aimed at an user base more like yourself such as Ubuntu.

    A distro aimed at IT Security Professionals is obviously not within your comfort zone.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    you can use the command sudo before any command you need to run as root in many distros. the ability to run the command sudo is a vulnerability in and of itself and many security conscious distros do not add users to the wheel group by default, or do not add sudo lines on a per user basis by default. this is because a mailicious user can lock a person out of their own system by running sudo su - when they have compromised a basic user account. using that same command you can typically can root access to your own box too (sudo su -) and if that errors out remove the dash

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
    you can use the command sudo before any command you need to run as root in many distros. the ability to run the command sudo is a vulnerability in and of itself and many security conscious distros do not add users to the wheel group by default, or do not add sudo lines on a per user basis by default. this is because a mailicious user can lock a person out of their own system by running sudo su - when they have compromised a basic user account. using that same command you can typically can root access to your own box too (sudo su -) and if that errors out remove the dash
    If you would have read the OP's post you would notice he is having trouble logging onto BT, because he does not know the password. What you posted has nothing to do with it. While everyone here appreciates the help, it needs to be correct or at least dealing with the subject at hand.
    Stop adding useless drivel to posts. I already deleted several posts from you that added nothing to the thread.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  6. #6
    Jenkem Addict imported_wyze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ankebut View Post
    Hi,

    I'm newbie of this program. I'm triying to login as a root in backtrack 4 but i can't. Please help me how can i do.

    In the command line what i have to do login as a root.

    Thanks for help.
    I'm presuming you installed it to a drive...

    Login with normal user, the type:

    sudo su <enter pass>[/CODE]

    then type

    Code:
    passwd
    logout/back in in as root.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

  7. #7
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    I'm presuming you installed it to a drive...

    Login with normal user, the type:

    sudo su <enter pass>[/CODE]

    then type

    Code:
    passwd
    logout/back in in as root.
    Thanks for your help. Solved.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    If you would have read the OP's post you would notice he is having trouble logging onto BT, because he does not know the password. What you posted has nothing to do with it. While everyone here appreciates the help, it needs to be correct or at least dealing with the subject at hand.
    Stop adding useless drivel to posts. I already deleted several posts from you that added nothing to the thread.
    i notice none of my messages are being posted since this. i do not appreciate it. i obviously read the OP's post or I would not have offered input

    just because you do not value my opinion does not mean it is not sound, fundamental linux knowledge that someone else can appreciate. he could have been logged in under a different account and trying to go to root. he was not clear.

    this forum is moving towards being a reference for more than just security pros, and even simple, seemingly irrelevant info adds to the greater good by being searchable.

    please stop censoring my posts. i understand this is a forum under your reign, and that by no choice of mine i have to adhere to what you say, but please allow me to reply back.

    this is now the third attempted response that i have posted to your comment

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
    i notice none of my messages are being posted since this. i do not appreciate it.
    That's because you failed to read the rules. You agreed to when you signed up. To wit:
    New registrants posts will be moderated first, causing a slight delay in the post appearing - DO NOT report problems with your post not appearing instantly during your first 3 days membership.
    Now according to your profile you joined on the 25 October 2009 and today is 27 October 2009 That would mean you fall under the above.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    That's because you failed to read the rules. You agreed to when you signed up. To wit:
    New registrants posts will be moderated first, causing a slight delay in the post appearing - DO NOT report problems with your post not appearing instantly during your first 3 days membership.
    Now according to your profile you joined on the 25 October 2009 and today is 27 October 2009 That would mean you fall under the above.
    i replied to this a few hours ago (just like the other post) and surprise...you slectively choose not to allow it to go up...

    i always read all the rules, and i did not report it, i complained. there is a distinct difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •