Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 live-CD boot problem at MacBook 5,2

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy BackTrack 4 live-CD boot problem at MacBook 5,2

Hi,

I'm unexperienced with BT, but normally a relatively advanced PC-user.

I wanted to test the BT 4 live-CD on my macbook to check my own network, but I can't get it started.
    After searching a lot, I unfortunately wasn't able to find any solution to my problem..

So what I've done until now:

First I tried the BT 3 final version. Downloading and burning worked fine, but after I booted the live-cd (via pressing "C" while power on) and chose the GUI I would like to use (KDE or Flux (?)), nothing happens anymore.

I thought, the "old" BT 3 doesn't have the necessary drivers, so I continued trying the "new" BackTrack 4 PreRelease.
    Downloading and burning worked fine, also. But after booting the DVD I get the same problem. It simply stucks when the splash screen appears. I even can't choose any option I like..

Does anyone have a suggestion how I get the Live-CD to work? Or is it simply impossible to boot a linux-live-cd on a mac?
    I tested it with a HP Pavilion Windows Vista x64 laptop and the boot works fine, so I exclude a defect image or blank-CD/DVD.

Thanks in advance,

btrekker

Just burned his ISO

Did you install refit?

Just burned his ISO

I have the same problem. I have a macbook 5.2 and I did the same that btrekker, I tried BT3 and BT4 but i can't get it started.

any sugestion? i need help

Just burned his ISO

I also have the same MacBook 5,2 early 2009.

The problem with booting is not just Backtrack, but all Linux distributions (that I have tried). The issue has something to do with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) setup in the MacBook, which basically controls all the power management abilities of a computer.

To get Backtrack running on your MacBook try the following:

When presented with the graphical screen at boot, choose which mode (KDE, Flux etc) highlight your usual selection but press TAB key instead of enter.
    The boot parameters should come up. Then add a space and the following switch to the end:

Code:
    acpi=off
    Hopefully this help out =D

Just as a note, I was able to boot BT4 Pre Release Live DVD using this method. Also, I have not been able to get BT3 Live CD to boot and have much more success booting off a USB using rEFIt.

Would have put a like to the acpi bug tracker, but don't think I can post links because I am new!

Just burned his ISO

@ToMiK thanks a lot for your help, I will tray your method. I am new in Mac and sometimes I feel a little confuse.

Could you explain how to run backtrack from an usb. I have a phone (nokia 6120) with a micro HC 8GB. Do you think I can use it to booting off from there?

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting off USB

No problem pablo1, I had heaps of issues getting Backtrack 3 working so might as well share the knowledge!

As for booting off USB, I use the Backtrack 3 Extended USB version. I only boot from USB because the Live CD seems to halt during loading the operating system. Try the live CD, it may work for you, and is easier to setup.

I won't go into the way to do create a Live USB because there are numerous posts about this.

Basically, get the USB ready and then use a rEFIt live CD or install rEFIt to your Mac to boot off the USB. This is becaue you can't boot off USB on a MacBook (as far as I know).

You can get rEFIt from the Sourceforge website (can't post links yet).

As far as using your phones drive to boot off, I am not sure. rEFIt might not recognize it as a bootable device. The easiest way in my opinion is to use a USB thumb drive.

Just to throw in my $.02.. running it in a VM is the better option. I have the 17" 4.1 (last non-unibody they made) and BT in Fusion is awesome.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

@ToMiK i traied to boot backtrack 4 but i didn't see the the KDE or Flux mode.
    this is what I got

star backtrack framemode (10024 x 768)
    star backtrack framemode ( 800 x 600)
    star backtrack framemode ( no swap)
    star backtrack in safe graphical mode
    star persistent live cd
    star backtrack in text mode
    star backtrack graphical mode from ram
    memory test
    boot the first hard disk

I traied some of them but it didn`t work out. What shoud i do?
    thanks for your help

sorry it`s "frame buffer" insted "frame mode"

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    Just to throw in my $.02.. running it in a VM is the better option. I have the 17" 4.1 (last non-unibody they made) and BT in Fusion is awesome.
    Yeah, Wyze is right. Probably the easiest and most user-friendly way to run Backtrack on a Mac.
    Havn't tried Fusion as it costs, but Virtual Box does a sweet job for some open source cost effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo1 View Post
    @ToMiK i traied to boot backtrack 4 but i didn't see the the KDE or Flux mode.
    this is what I got

star backtrack framemode (10024 x 768)
    star backtrack framemode ( 800 x 600)
    star backtrack framemode ( no swap)
    star backtrack in safe graphical mode
    star persistent live cd
    star backtrack in text mode
    star backtrack graphical mode from ram
    memory test
    boot the first hard disk

I traied some of them but it didn`t work out. What shoud i do?
    thanks for your help
    Sorry, the KDE/Flux reference is for Backtrack 3. Looks like the above is from Backtrack 4. I use the top one (1024x768).
    Did you highlight the entry, use TAB and add in 'acpi=off' ??

If its giving you too many headaches maybe try Wyze's idea of using a virtual machine. =D

Just burned his ISO

I do not want to use vm because as long as I know I can`t use the monitor mode for wifi (passive way) with any kind of virtual machines.

I chose "star backtrack framemode (10024 x 768)" and pressed TAB key instead of enter but nothing happened so I had to used enter. and then appears a new windows of backtrack and shows "not working" after that the screen get blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast