Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Security Essentials

Default Microsoft Security Essentials

From AskWoody.com

Iíve been using Microsoft Security Essentials (code-name Morro) on a dozen computers for more than a month.

I like it. I bet youíll like it too.

I like it so much that Iíve thrown away my old antivirus programs and replaced them. All of them.

MSE is free. It works, and works well. Iíve written about it several times on this site, and cover it extensively in my new Windows 7 book.

According to a Microsoft Press Release, it will be widely available today.

Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Corp.ís new no-cost, core anti-malware service that helps protect consumers against viruses, spyware and other malicious software, will be available tomorrow, Tuesday, Sept. 29. Microsoft Security Essentials, independently certified by West Coast Labs, is backed by the companyís global security response team and is built on the same award-winning core security technology found in the companyís security solutions for businesses. It requires no registration, trials or renewals and will be available for download directly from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials.

Any beta testers here? Or has anyone tried or reviewed/read a review of MSE? I am hesitant of install any MS product that isn't an update, but its free. I haven't heard if this is a windows only solution, but it likely is.

How much you wana bet it requires you to pass WGA? And who wants to bet that within three months it'll be phoning home?
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

prowl3r

A security suite from MS? Thanks but no, thanks.

I've never trusted MS much but since the Vista planetary scam (together with the hardware requirements fraud) they don't deserve the benefit of doubt.

First I'm not sure a rootkit is not included as a free gift. Second, their security track record is impressive, and third I do prefer the alternatives: Avira (free), NOD32/Bitdefender (commercial). Same for other apps: VLC, OpenOffice, Firefox, ...

Just my personal view.

I'll check it out, but I have sort of the same sentiments as prowl3r. Being it's Microsoft and their track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I'll check it out, but I have sort of the same sentiments as prowl3r. Being it's Microsoft and their track record.

Can I ask why? Just for discussion, would like to know why you like it better.
    As the OP said "From AskWoody.com", I guess you'll have to jump over there for the why's and how's.

Personally I think this is a good move for Microsoft and the greater Internet population (though at the same time I hate to see them put other companies out of business and continue their monopolistic behavior). I will install it but I'll give it a few months to have larger community testing/fixing.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    As the OP said "From AskWoody.com", I guess you'll have to jump over there for the why's and how's.
    Yikes, that's two in the last day. Think I need more sleep and to start paying attention to detail . Edited my post, sorry.

Default I agree:

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Personally I think this is a good move for Microsoft and the greater Internet population (though at the same time I hate to see them put other companies out of business and continue their monopolistic behavior). I will install it but I'll give it a few months to have larger community testing/fixing.
    I really think free AV from M$ is one small step in the right direction, I mean sure there are a million free alternatives one could use in terms of AV.

But as anyone should know, just by running any M$ products, Anti-Virus Engines whether free from M$ or some other source or purchased is probably the last thing we will be worrying about on a Windows System.

Especially now that most attacks are focusing on attacking the users browser, so that' going to be interesting.

I think part of the problem regardless of the numbers and testing is that security in terms of AV is very subjective because not all systems are set up the same, there are a lot of variables to consider when we say this AV works better than this one.

I installed it on my Windows 7 box, I already understand by running M$ I am already taking a chance regardless of how hardened I think my system is, it's a good thing Windows 7 makes life easier for the user in terms of backups and overall usage, compared to Vista. Even though I think the average Joe or Sally probably does not care or are even inclined to backup anything.

It's all about the user and simplicity, I think M$ got this right this time with Win7; however, I still don't get what's up with the rush for Win8?

I personally haven't tried this out yet & most likely wont!

@ Oktet regarding the rush of Windows 8, I think a good reason may be it no longer supports Visual Basic 6 at all. I'm an active member in an alternate underground community where all of these people praise Visual Basic 6 and think it's the only language they can do. Sad right? I can't wait for Windows 8 myself and I haven't even installed 7 yet! I just want to see peoples faces when they see it doesn't support their favorite, outdated programming language!

Sources:

Visual Basic 6.0 to support Windows 7, but no plans beyond that (Windows 8), says Microsoft

Default Not missing much:

Quote Originally Posted by KrisTeason View Post
    I personally haven't tried this out yet & most likely wont!
    It's Windows you are not really missing anything, and it's nothing compared to Backtrack.

I personally would not pay for it or upgrade to it-Win7 or Win8.

The only reason I installed 7 was cause students and developers get free software and OS(es) from M$ via the University.

I can understand if one has a user base that's going to be switching to Win7 and might need some tech support and whatnot, but XP should still suffice, if it's not broken why fix it, right...

I tried Vista and just wanted to see what they changed between the two versions: Vista and 7, and I guess it's the same toilet bowl, just different shit.

[Disclaimer, sorry for the rude or offensive analogy and usage of the word shit in a thread, I hope I don't offend anyone and I just realized I have never used offensive words in real life and in threads, until now...].

I haven't even heard about 8 yet, come on MS. There has to be a point at which its pointless to keep going before you even have a userbase of the current OS. I'm tempted to encourage people to boycott until they start thinking about their customers wallets instead of their own.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Just burned his ISO

One of the first things it does is make sure that you pass WGA. We've been using it on a few systems, and it just so happens that im in the middle of scanning a jacked up computer right now.

Its nice on the resources, however I dont see it finding anything more than any one else. I still havent seen it capture and destroy a "antivirus 2008, 2009, 2010, antivirus pro, antispyware police, etc." Malwarebytes, Dr Web, SuperAntispyware, and Viper seem to be the only ones still capable of removing it.

not really impressed, but again its finding about the same as all the paid AV versions ive seen so far.

FYI: By default the program seems to only want to scan once a week, and some other BS. Thought Id mention that as I think thats pretty fail.

Just my 2cents,
    -Chrisso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast