Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best PDF Password Cracker?

Default Best PDF Password Cracker?

I've downloaded probably 5 different trial PDF crackers, and so far I'm not impressed. It seems the best of them works via brute force.
    Does anyone have any first hand recommendations?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    the best of them works via brute force.
    And the worst?

What do you expect? As long there is no exploit there is no better way than brute forcing or use a wordlist... have you tried pdfcrack? It's in the ubuntu reps
    Auswaertsspiel

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    As long there is no exploit there is no better way than brute forcing or use a wordlist...
    Good point. I guess it's not the end of the world. I'm just used to instant cracks, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    have you tried pdfcrack? It's in the ubuntu reps
    I'll give it a shot, thanks.

I'm not sure how you define "best" but screen shots and OCR seem pretty easy.

Guess the means kind of depend on the input and end goal.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I'm not sure how you define "best" but screen shots and OCR seem pretty easy.

Guess the means kind of depend on the input and end goal.
    My bad, I wasn't clear in my question. I'm looking for software to break password protected PDF documents, not software to make PDF documents. Said document was made with Adobe Acrobat 7 with RC4 Encryption.

I ended up forking over $80 and I bought 'Passware Password Recovery Kit'. It's been brute forcing for 10 hours and no dice yet. We'll see. I'm going to let it run over the weekend and see if it can get it.

By 'best', I would love something that could crack it instantly. I've cracked quickbooks files before where it was instant. That would be nice. None of the demos I tried could do it though...

What about installing PDFCreator and "printing" it to a PDF which has no password?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    What about installing PDFCreator and "printing" it to a PDF which has no password?
    Thing is, it's the 'open' password that's the problem. Double-Click the pdf and it's asks for a password.
    I've been bruteforcing it since Friday. Still no dice. The user thinks the password was all numbers, no symbols, so I started another bruteforce against it today with the length set at 0-6 characters(numbers) which ran pretty quick. Now doing length 7-8 which is taking all day. I ran all ???-??-???? conbinations over the weekend which the user thought it could also be. Ugggg.

I guess it's good to know that adobe actually got something right, for once, with security.

Oh ok, sry Zombie! I wasn't even aware that you could PW protect simply the viewing or opening of a PDF.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Aftera quick search came up with this that would appear to advertise doing what you need being done..

PDF Password Remover (Free)

Seems a bit good to be true.. and you know what 'they' say about that !

Pleased to hear if any luck !

edit

Just noticed that they are linking to that PDF cracker which is a port from the linux PDF crack tool..
    So you probably have already been here !

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    Aftera quick search came up with this that would appear to advertise doing what you need being done..

PDF Password Remover (Free)

Seems a bit good to be true.. and you know what 'they' say about that !

Pleased to hear if any luck !

edit

Just noticed that they are linking to that PDF cracker which is a port from the linux PDF crack tool..
    So you probably have already been here !
    Think that's just a marketing slogan and not a product feature. They brute force it like every other pdf cracker...

Well maybe brute forcing length 8 (only number) is feasible, but after that you need something else: 10^6 combinations was no problem, 10^7, 10^8 takes the hole day (as you said) and 10^9 will take at least 10 days... and you only tested for numbers
    Auswaertsspiel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast