Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change the computer name / Hostname ?

Default How to change the computer name / Hostname ?

In the last version of backtrack I think all you had to do was edit this file:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.M

I don't see that file on the new backtrack.
    Anyone know how to change the computer name?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    Thanks, but no dice.
    I tried editing both the /etc/hosts file and the /etc/hostname file.
    Doesn't keep after a reboot. In the prior releases of backtrack a startup script set the computer name at every boot....

/etc/init.d/hostname.sh

/etc/init.d/hostname.sh
    No dice.
    I looked at that script and all it says it it takes the value from the etc/hostname and applies it. But something else is must be writing to the /etc/hostname on boot like it did in the old versions of backtrack. If I change the name in that file, and reboot, the name is changed back(yes I have persistent changes).

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

for me to chnage the hostname, all i did was change the name in the hostname file and reboot
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    No dice.
    I looked at that script and all it says it it takes the value from the etc/hostname and applies it. But something else is must be writing to the /etc/hostname on boot like it did in the old versions of backtrack. If I change the name in that file, and reboot, the name is changed back(yes I have persistent changes).
    So is the USB saving any other changes? I looked on Google for your specific issue and didn't find much, I'm sure maybe someone else knows on here .

You could just make your own start up script.

Create script in init.d, ex: /etc/init.d/startupname.sh

Code:
    nano startupname.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    hostname Leetpwnsauce
    Code:
    update-rc.d startupname.sh defaults
    chmod +x /etc/init.d/startupname.sh

So is the USB saving any other changes? I looked on Google for your specific issue and didn't find much, I'm sure maybe someone else knows on here .
    Thanks for all your help Lincoln. Very cool of you to keep helping.
    Yeah, I have a bunch of text files and a few scripts on my desktop that I made, and they stay in place after reboot.

I was thinking I might try making a second admin account and change the permissions on the /etc/hostname file so the new admin has full control, and everything else only has read.
    That's under the assumption backtrack is changing the file on boot.

So Lincoln, are you running the newest 'pre-final' release? If so, you're able to change the name and it sticks after reboot? If so, it must be something with how I made my usb flash card....

Thanks for all your help Lincoln. Very cool of you to keep helping.
    Yeah, I have a bunch of text files and a few scripts on my desktop that I made, and they stay in place after reboot.

I was thinking I might try making a second admin account and change the permissions on the /etc/hostname file so the new admin has full control, and everything else only has read.
    That's under the assumption backtrack is changing the file on boot.

So Lincoln, are you running the newest 'pre-final' release? If so, you're able to change the name and it sticks after reboot? If so, it must be something with how I made my usb flash card....
    I have bt4 pre final and if i change my hostname it stays after reboot. Running bt4 under vmware.

I have a VMWare image and a hard disk install and they both save changes to the host name file after reboot. Both are BT4PF. Maybe you need to try another USB install? Which tutorial did you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast