Thread: ERROR: ARP linktype is set to 1 --- ALFA Card

Default ERROR: ARP linktype is set to 1 --- ALFA Card

I have searched and can not find a specific after to this question. I am using a new HD install of BT4 (pre) Final and an ALFA AWUS036H and try to start airodump-ng (ran airmon-ng start wlan1 -- prior to setup monitor) and receive this error;

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80122,
    ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make
    sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start wlan1 <#>'
    Sysfs injection support was not found either.

I see lots of issues with the drivers for RTL8187. Are the RTL8187 drivers installed in BT4 working? Should I revert to BT3 drivers?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chmod View Post
    I have searched and can not find a specific after to this question.
    Apparently not since there are several threads on this already. Try again.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO harbormaster's Avatar

Hi CHMOD,

I think I have a solution for you, unlike the previous poster who probably does not have a clue on the answer either.

Try using airmon-ng start wlan# (# is the number of the interface.)
    If you're using the Alfa USB device and have an internal card, the Alfa will most likely be wlan1. Determine this through iwconfig.

Then you can use airodump-ng mon# (once again # is the number of the interface in monitor mode. Most likely mon0.) The airmon-ng command will give you this information you seek.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Its amazing that the time some people take to reply with such cr@p they could have at least gave a hint or a USEFUL point in the right direction. When we all help each other answer questions, no matter how dumb they may seem, we help everyone as a whole. This will help bring LINUX to the forefront of other OSes.

Quote Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
    Hi CHMOD,

I think I have a solution for you, unlike the previous poster who probably does not have a clue on the answer either.

Try using airmon-ng start wlan# (# is the number of the interface.)
    If you're using the Alfa USB device and have an internal card, the Alfa will most likely be wlan1. Determine this through iwconfig.

Then you can use airodump-ng mon# (once again # is the number of the interface in monitor mode. Most likely mon0.) The airmon-ng command will give you this information you seek.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Its amazing that the time some people take to reply with such cr@p they could have at least gave a hint or a USEFUL point in the right direction. When we all help each other answer questions, no matter how dumb they may seem, we help everyone as a whole. This will help bring LINUX to the forefront of other OSes.
    You sounds like totally n00b.it has been told backtrack is not for novice & tenderfoots.people straightly wants to boot backtrack and wants to crack wireless straightly by using PnP Wifi dongles,to tell other 'Oh look I cracked my neighbor wifi,salute to me' & backtrack aim is not to bring in in front of/ahead of other OS's.for that there is already day to day routine distros like Ubuntu/Fedora core.backtrack is specifically custom built distro for pens-testing.1 piece of advice for you both.first search throughly on this forum & google that.else you need someone really who can feed you using spoons uptill your mouth,which I consider impossible on this forum.in the summery-read,search than come here with conclusion.this is what archangel.amael recommended to you.

Just burned his ISO harbormaster's Avatar

Question

CHMOD did that work for you?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
    Hi CHMOD,
    Well not only to you open your mouth and insert your foot on on of your first posts but you add nothing but rubbish to it. Not to mention you dug up an old thread also considering that the OP really hasn't bothered to do any sort of follow up (probably went back to windows). But to mention but everything you bothered to post has already been covered extensively and is well known to those that bother to read. So welcome to the forums and stop spouting out rubbish just for the sake of doing so.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.