Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP switches from wep to wpa when injecting

Unhappy AP switches from wep to wpa when injecting

Hello, I've got this weird problem:

AP: WEP SKA no clients.

did the Shared Key Authentication succesfully.

- airodump is set on the right channel and speed, it's all good
    - I'm authenticated/associated
    - aireplay-ng -9 says I can inject (100%) so I start injection

I was using r8187 driver to get the .xor for fake authentication, this works, but when trying to inject with this driver, I was getting deauth packets as soon as the injection started, and my packets were ignored.

So then I tried with the rtl8187 driver, with this driver I don't get those deauth packets anymore, I manage to inject and generate data, but here's the strange part about it: as soon as I start injecting and collecting IV's, the encoder switches from wep

to wpa?Huh?? at this point airodump is still collection data, but these aren't IV's,

I always get a few IV's untill the encoder switches to wpa.

When I stop injecting, the encoder switches back to wep, like; WTF?

tried it on 2 AP's, both with WEP SKA no clients, they both react the same, and do the "auto-switch" from wep to wpa when I start injecting.

I googled this problem but found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dave himself

(PS: I'd also like to mention that these AP's i'm trying to crack belong to friends of mine, I live in an appartement on the 4th floor and I'm getting amazing range with the ALFA + cantenna, one of my friends lives pretty close, the other one lives like 1,5 mille away, and I'm still able to inject.. I can't ask them what's causing the problem, they have no knowledge about linux/aircrack. anyway, I've got their permission to hack all I want 'cause they don't believe I can do it)

Just burned his ISO

Your friend would have had to have setup multiple ESSID's with a single BSSID. That use to be the only way of setting up multiple AP's from a single radio OpenWRT 7.10 (now all additional AP's have their own BSSID). Its a funny hiding in plain sight trick, but he would have had to have done this deliberately, maybe you don't know this friend very well?

I've got their permission to hack all I want 'cause they don't believe I can do it
    pen-testing is not game of fun and you are on pen-testing forum,not on some computer games or toy-fun forum.

they don't believe I can do it
    seems they were right

if you are not able to do it, ask him to change the security of his AP
    www.myownremote.blogspot.com

Secure_it, I know it's not a game, I take it VERY seriously. I wonder why you have to give such a reply, instead of helping me. Is it because I'm new here? My friends asked me to crack their AP, that way they will know if they're vulnerable or not. I don't get what you find so funny about that.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dotLucifer View Post
    Secure_it, I know it's not a game, I take it VERY seriously. I wonder why you have to give such a reply, instead of helping me. Is it because I'm new here? My friends asked me to crack their AP, that way they will know if they're vulnerable or not. I don't get what you find so funny about that.
    Actually "we" (collectively) think it is funny, you trying to pass off the above story so "we" will be in someway obliged to help you.
    Again for the billionth time. "We" will not help you (nor anyone else) crack their neighbor's AP.
    "We" don't care if you have permission or not, or if the neighbor cares or not.
    "We" as a community do not condone illegal activity irrespective of the country, or circumstances.
    So if you want help you might try www.hackmyneighbor.net or something else.
    As for your "friend" trying to determine the vulnerability of their "ap" then tell them to follow industry best practices and use something along the lines of wpa2 with a long random passphrase.
    Oh and no it's not because you are new here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

There is nothing wrong/illigal, I've got permission. Like wtf is your problem anyway?

Just because I wrote one stupid sentence, you keep giving me a hard time?
    If you want to ban me for that, go ahead.

"I'll" "just" "come" "back" "from" "a" "different" "IP" "and" "username".

All I asked was some friendly help, that's all.

.L

There is nothing wrong/illigal, I've got permission. Like wtf is your problem anyway?

All I asked was some friendly help, that's all.

.L
    Good luck with that. "Our" problem is we get jerkoffs in here all the time trying to social engineer they way into getting "us" to help them steal wifi. You may really have permission, you may not, "we" don't care.

but that's the thing, I AM NOT STEALING WIFI IN ANY WAY, I was testing the security for my friends, because THEY ASKED. Isn't that what backtrack is about, testing security of radio devices?

This thread can be closed, it's all screwed up anyway.

.L

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Now while this may be true you may indeed have permission, I (and many others) do not believe you, if this were not the case then you would probably have gotten more help by now.
    The others here have indeed given you guidance to get you started, on research.
    Including this post, I have made one other on the subject, hardly worth the "keep giving me a hard time" that would indicate multiple attempts to do so.
    As for banning you, I am not going to ban you, you may do that to yourself, or another mod may see fit to do so.

Well as I am learning there are ways to deal with that as well.
    So please stop arguing and embarrassing yourself, no one here is going to help you if you don't show any attempts to help yourself.

At this time I will leave this thread open ( barring another mod deciding to close it) so that you can continue to receive help and move forward with the "problem" if others choose to help you.
    The ball is in your court as they say.

Further more I am moving this thread to the newbie area since it really is more of a newbie problem than anything else.
    Which OP it is your responsibility to post in the appropriate section of the forums.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast