Thread: Need to Change Admin Password on WinServer 2003

Just burned his ISO

Default Need to Change Admin Password on WinServer 2003

I need to reset the Administrator password on a Windows 2003 server. I have access to this machine and a BT4 Live CD. But my searches thus far for how to do this come up with only how to either brute force the password file or how to hack WiFi passwords. I was informed that BT4 would allow me to gain access to the Windows 2003 server and change the Admin password.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information and HOWTO's?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxfiles View Post
    I need to reset the Administrator password on a Windows 2003 server. I have access to this machine and a BT4 Live CD. But my searches thus far for how to do this come up with only how to either brute force the password file or how to hack WiFi passwords. I was informed that BT4 would allow me to gain access to the Windows 2003 server and change the Admin password.

Why not ask the administrator to change the password for you?
    Ohh wait you are going to tell me that you are the admin and you forgot your password.
    In that case use your OS disk and reboot with it in the drive and go from there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxfiles View Post

The correct Google search will point you in the right direction. Try some combination of the words "Windows" "password" "reset" and "Linux".
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

for non-techies
    SpotMau PowerSuite 2009

otherwise
    hxxp://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

..of course only works with local user accounts and not domain accounts ;-)

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I don't understand the reply from archangel.amael. First off, your status as senior member in this forum leaves me perplexed why you would reply like this. But then again, it also shows your level of maturity. That said, I'll try and explain my problem a little further.

The owner of the company I work for hired his cousin to do IT work. The practice of hiring family usually ends up in sour grapes and this one was no different. The owner and his cousin are no longer on speaking terms and thus we now need a way to gain access to the server. Of course we could wipe out everything and reinstall the OS but that takes time and my search for a solution on this came across BT4. So we thought we'd give it a try.

Thus far we've only been able to create the CD and read loads of stuff on how to crack WiFi passwords, which is not what we need. Thinking this forum would be of help, I posted this question. Seeing the replies we got, I'm just going to throw the BT4 CD in the trash and move on.

Thanks team.