Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will WPA/WPA 2 be the best security option for my network?

Just burned his ISO

Question Will WPA/WPA 2 be the best security option for my network?

Hi. My network has a 40-bit WEP encryption key. I managed to break it using a PTW attack in about 1 minute. What is the next best security option for my network? I have a router that supports WPA/WPA2 security. If I use either of these, will I have to reconfigure all the wireless devices to use WPA/2? How would I erase the existing configuration and re-configure it? Using the wireless setup wizards? I have one laptop running XP, one running Vista/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot, and another computer on the network using a USB wireless adapter. I guess I'd have to reconfigure those? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitamarui View Post
    Hi. My network has a 40-bit WEP encryption key. I managed to break it using a PTW attack in about 1 minute. What is the next best security option for my network? I have a router that supports WPA/WPA2 security. If I use either of these, will I have to reconfigure all the wireless devices to use WPA/2? How would I erase the existing configuration and re-configure it? Using the wireless setup wizards? I have one laptop running XP, one running Vista/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot, and another computer on the network using a USB wireless adapter. I guess I'd have to reconfigure those? Thanks.
    Yes, wpa2 is the best security option.
    What do the manuals for your devices say?

How would I erase the existing configuration and re-configure it? Using the wireless setup wizards?
    Using the setup wizard is probably the easiest if you are not comfortable doing it manually. Also most routers will have a reset button on them that will restore the device to the default factory settings.

Hi. My network has a 40-bit WEP encryption key. I managed to break it using a PTW attack in about 1 minute. What is the next best security option for my network?
    WPA2-AES

If I use either of these, will I have to reconfigure all the wireless devices to use WPA/2.
    Yes, of course. Any system-wide change is going to require that all devices using that system be changed.

How would I erase the existing configuration and re-configure it? Using the wireless setup wizards?
    The best way to do this is with the native configuration program for each device. Basically, it's a matter of RTFM for the device, and then follow the instructions.

I have one laptop running XP, one running Vista/Ubuntu 9.04 dual boot, and another computer on the network using a USB wireless adapter. I guess I'd have to reconfigure those?
    Again, yes.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

if you want a good security, use a good password.
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Just burned his ISO

Default RE: Will WPA/WPA 2 be the best security option for my network?

OK, thanks for all the info. I will configure it to use WPA 2, seeing as most people are saying it is the most secure option with a strong password, heard that with a good password it is unbreakable.

OK, thanks for all the info. I will configure it to use WPA 2, seeing as most people are saying it is the most secure option with a strong password, heard that with a good password it is unbreakable.
    Not unbreakable. Strong enough that the effort to break it is not worth it, or too time consuming.

OTP is unbreakable...
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

OTP RSA Secure ID

You are able to crack WEP and yet you don't know how to setup your wireless card to WPA instead?

Kinda thought you would learn how to setup different wireless encryptions first before you crack them.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

if you want good securtiy, add WPA2 AES+TKP

Also, if you only want 2 or X amount of computers accessing the network make 2 or X amount of static ips..And set the maximum number of users to: 1

Then add 2 or the X amount of computer mac address to only access the network.

Last but not least, turn off your broadcasting..

This way if the attacker still knows ur key, he wont be able to access the network or send any data packets cuz his mac address will be blocked/un-authorized to communicate with the network. And if the attacker trys to dump the air way to see what ur mac is and try to spoof it, it wont show up cuz the broadcasting is turned off. (i think)

Hope this helps.
    Wiffy-Auto-Cracker - was the best thing that ever happen to me. :) Wo0oT :)
    AWUSO36H_500mW_5dBi Antenna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast