Thread: Hacking computers with a foreign language?

Default Hacking computers with a foreign language?

Is there a way that after you gain access to a box to change its language?
    Say you have TS access, and it's in French or Chinese or something. Can you run a command to change it to English?

I guess I could just build it in my lab, but figured someone here probably knows a trick.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
    Someone will probably ask. Question is for Linux and Windows primarily, but if you know a trick for some other OS, please post it. Thanks.

Configuring and Using International Features of Windows: How To Change the language used to display menus and dialogs in MUI

Please explain something though: Under what circumstances would you be doing a pen test on computers that aren't in a language that you (or a team member) understand? If you're going to be operating a in multilingual situation, that should be known when specifying the contract, and you should have team members with the appropriate language skills lined up prior to signing.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Thanks Thorn. Per your question, at my work, I AM the pentester. lol. We don't have a 'team' per se. There is another guy who does compliance(SOX, SAS70, etc), but we report to different partners. It's pretty dumb, but it is what it is.
    As far as potential uses, this could be useful for companies who's main office is in the states, but whos international or has subsidiaries who are international.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    Thanks Thorn. Per your question, at my work, I AM the pentester. lol. We don't have a 'team' per se. There is another guy who does compliance(SOX, SAS70, etc), but we report to different partners. It's pretty dumb, but it is what it is.
    As far as potential uses, this could be useful for companies who's main office is in the states, but whos international or has subsidiaries who are international.
    Ah, gotcha. Due to the fact that I'm an independent contractor, I tend to think of such things as being defined in the scope prior to any test. (Or, if not predefined then a chargeable change order. )
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.