Thread: Now that I've got wireless...

Just burned his ISO

Default Now that I've got wireless...

First I'd like to apologize for the topic name, as I was just repremanded for an unspecific topic name in another thread. Won't happen again.

I ordered my AWUS036H last night.

Now, I have a less tragic problem, but still worth asking about.

My laptop doesn't come with Bluetooth, so I'm having to buy a dongle for that, too. Unfortunately, I can't find any posts or google results that will point me to a USB Bluetooth adapter. Even looking at the official specs of the products, its speaking tech I'm not familiar with yet.

On tigerdirect (which is where I'm looking) I see alot of adapters, but some say

"Allows any computer with a USB connection to become a Bluetooth enabled computer"

However, when I do more research, it turns out the device doesn't have linux support at all.

Does anyone here have a BT dongle that they know works? I'm assuming I can't just pick one at random and hope it works, and I can't find one that says it is specifically compatible with linux.

Thanks!

I have also been wondering about this. For awhile I could of sworn my Dell 9 Mini had Bluetooth built in, but I was sadly mistaken.

P.S. - I'll try to help you with this as I want to know aswell.. I will tell you if I come acrossed anything
    "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." - Murphy's Laws of combat, #2

5 seconds of Google searching.

Bluetooth USB Adapters

Hah I actually just found this myself right before I came to get online and share.. Thanks Lincoln

~zWiReDz
    "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid." - Murphy's Laws of combat, #2

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    5 seconds of Google searching.

h t t p : / / w w w . qbik. c h /usb/devices/search_res . php?pattern=bluetooth]Bluetooth USB Adapters
    Sadly I didn't get that kind of info in 5 hours of google searching.

However, the knowledge of which ones are compatible moves me to my next question:

Which of these works with all of backtrack's tools?

If these work like 802.11 USB dongles do, some of these might not work with the tools even though they are linux compatible.

If not and they all work, I'll just choose the best of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejah View Post
    Sadly I didn't get that kind of info in 5 hours of google searching.

However, the knowledge of which ones are compatible moves me to my next question:

Which of these works with all of backtrack's tools?

If these work like 802.11 USB dongles do, some of these might not work with the tools even though they are linux compatible.

If not and they all work, I'll just choose the best of that list.
    In my experience, i think they all work (when they are linux compatible). But some are better than others. There's one thread in the forums about turning your bluetooth dongle into a bluetooth sniffer. Search for it, they specify the "chipset" (don't know if it is the right word) that has the ability to do that.

You can opt for EDR 2.1+ class A radio bluetooth dongle like IVT Bluesoliel or Linksys & have some good models.ask for range in between 100 mtrs to 500 mtrs(however I found its without obstacles).as far as compatibility I never came across such dongle which does not supported by linux and for BackTrack bluetooth tools-they are POC and does not work on latest models as they are fully patched already by cell manufecturers.

Dude, even at Walmart or on a PC Repair Shop (most likely you'l find it there) you can find an BlueTooth Dongle for like $30 7-7

btw: its like less than an inch long 7-7
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB