Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC address on ADHOC network

Default MAC address on ADHOC network

I have googled and know that the MAC address on a ADHOC network is generated from a random 40 key, what I wish to know (I havent been able to find an answer on google) is can the MAC address of the actual router be ascertained when not associated to the network.

The reason for this question is that the WLAN_xx router alogorithm is the actual router MAC prefixed by a letter, but wireless scanning will only show through airdump the randomly generated MAC.

Any pointers appreciated?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by letmein View Post
    I have googled and know that the MAC address on a ADHOC network is generated from a random 40 key, what I wish to know (I havent been able to find an answer on google) is can the MAC address of the actual router be ascertained when not associated to the network.

The reason for this question is that the WLAN_xx router alogorithm is the actual router MAC prefixed by a letter, but wireless scanning will only show through airdump the randomly generated MAC.

Any pointers appreciated?

Thanks
    I'm not quite following you... Are you saying that WLAN_xx routers change their MAC address?

Could you post links to the sites where you've seen the ad hoc information? Thanks in advance

MAC addresses do not change, unless done so manually.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

In the router screen the MAC of eth0 is shown as

eth0 forwarding 00:1d:20:aa:66:1a............

whilst in the airwaves (I have used WNV as I dont have BT running in VM)

WLAN_1A 100% 100% 2 Yes Yes 802.11 Open WEP ERP 9/9/2009 1:38:24 PM 9/9/2009 1:38:34 PM 00-1a-2b-2b-63-d5 -50 2.422 3 18 Mbps

The router MAC (ending 1A) is what the security key is set to?

My question remains can the eth0 MAC address of the router be seen anyhow over the airwaves, if so this is obviously a great flaw in the WLAN_xx setup.

I think there is something odd with the default set up as my router has all these in the bridging page

wl0 forwarding 00:16:6f:0c:d7:df 128 100 NA NA
    wl0 forwarding 00:1a:2b:2b:63:d5 128 100 NA NA
    eth0 forwarding 00:1d:20:aa:66:1a 128 100 NA NA
    usb0 disabled 00:1d:20:aa:66:1b 128 100 NA NA
    nas_8_32 forwarding 00:1d:20:aa:66:1d 128 100 8 36
    nas_8_36 forwarding 00:1d:20:aa:66:1e 128 100 8 36
    wl0 forwarding 00:23:12:21:f3:d4 128 100 NA NA
    wl0 forwarding 00:c0:ca:1a:e8:55 128 100 NA NA

Thanks for you time

In the router screen the MAC of eth0 is shown as
    eth0 forwarding 00:1d:20:aa:66:1a............
    whilst in the airwaves (I have used WNV as I dont have BT running in VM)
    WLAN_1A 00-1a-2b-2b-63-d5
    The router MAC (ending 1A) is what the security key is set to?
    Ok, this is what's confusing you. The ethernet interface and the wireless interface, both have their own MAC, there is no randomly generated MAC, and never will (doesn't makes sense). On an ad hoc network, as i understood by my research, the wireless interface will not change MAC, it will just create a network with a random MAC, but it's kinda a broadcast MAC (as I understand), every wireless device connected to that network will listen to network packets sent to the randomly generated MAC.

My question remains can the eth0 MAC address of the router be seen anyhow over the airwaves
    Obviously not...

to my understanding, an AD-HOC network doesnt contain a router. its 2 wlan adapters. The network isnt an infrastructure. The MAC address is stored in a ROM chip in any NIC (including wifi adapters) and can only be spoofed. (unless u manage to flash the ROM chip, if thats possible)

or maybe a router can be configured to work as AD-HOC i dont know, but if it was, im guessing it could'nt get onto the net.
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!

Clients connecting to an AP/router are part of an infrastructure network.

Clients connecting to each other comprise an ad-hoc network. They have nothing to do with routers or randomly generated MAC addresses.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    They have nothing to do with routers or randomly generated MAC addresses.
    But i created a ad hoc network on my windows, and on wicd the MAC was different from my wireless interface MAC address.

Thanks for all the responses, I understand now that the router having to network points (eth and wifi) each having its own MAC.

I think the Ad hoc was a mis-understanding on my part....

At least I know that yet another router/BB manufactorer has used a easy alogorithm to create their wireless keys.... I think it shows that their lazy approach is quite common across the board.... at least this one cannot be generated from wifi distributed data....

This website www.lampiwed.com us a program to generate a wifi key dictionary then use this with aircrack to break the key with vastly reduced cap file, I am familiar with this type of crack for WPA, but didnt know it existed for WEP (before anyone states that this this isnt required as WEP can be broken in minutes anyhow - it is still interesting and the crack can be done with no injection as long as there is a user surfing!)

Havent tested as yet as didnt bring my atheros card to Spain, but will next time!!

www.lampiweb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast