Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer AspireOne Wireless

Just burned his ISO

Default Acer AspireOne Wireless

I don't think this has been posted, because I searched for a while on here before going to Google and finding an answer.

When installing BT4 (PreFinal) on the Acer AspireOne, I had some problems right away with getting the wireless card to connect to my network. I could monitor networks, but nothing else, and no networks would show up in wicd. I even tried connecting manually to my AP through the console and could not.

One big difference I noticed was the change in what showed up with a simple ifconfig or iwconfig. wlan0 and mon0 if I put the card into monitor mode, which was much different from what BT3 showed as wifi0 and ath0 respectively. That threw up flags and I figured something wasn't right.

Well, I found an answer on the ubuntu website. They have a page dedicated to the issues with versions of Ubuntu on the Acer AspireOne...I cannot post links yet so if a mod would like to change the formatting, that'd be great.
    https://
    help.ubuntu.
    com/community/AspireOne#Install Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 on the Acer Aspire One

The instructions on there are very detailed and as some would say on these forums "n00b proof". You do need an internet connection however, so you'll need to hook up straight to the router/AP via ethernet. No issues connecting that way.

I hope this helps someone else trying to do the same thing I was. BTW, I appreciate the extra support BT4 has for this little netbook. There are a few things that work fresh off install that didn't work before. Great job!

NOTE: This may also apply to other netbooks with a similar card with the same Atheros chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by snadman View Post
    When installing BT4 (PreFinal) on the Acer AspireOne, I had some problems right away with getting the wireless card to connect to my network. I could monitor networks, but nothing else, and no networks would show up in wicd. I even tried connecting manually to my AP through the console and could not.
    Have you tried setting wlan0 as the wireless interface in wicd settings?

Quote Originally Posted by snadman View Post
    One big difference I noticed was the change in what showed up with a simple ifconfig or iwconfig. wlan0 and mon0 if I put the card into monitor mode, which was much different from what BT3 showed as wifi0 and ath0 respectively. That threw up flags and I figured something wasn't right.
    It's normal, in bt4 prefinal.

Just burned his ISO

Yeah, I tried that. Really, nothing was working. This helped a lot, and now the commands and scripts that I wrote before for pentesting will work because the interface names are the same as they were in BT3.

Sidenote: That website also had a cool little thing on how to get the LEDs working for the WiFi, which never worked in BT3. May have worked in BT3 had I tried using the same process posted, but I didn't have this link before. I guess it's also nice to know that everything is now fully functional.

Ok!

Glad to see that your first post was a contribution to the community

On Acers, you'l need to push the wLan power button, the light wont show but it is on, on Acers, the main interface is wlan0, but when you go to monitor mode (eg : "airmon-ng start wlan0") you will need to use "mon0"
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Quote Originally Posted by athacks View Post
    On Acers, you'l need to push the wLan power button, the light wont show but it is on, on Acers, the main interface is wlan0, but when you go to monitor mode (eg : "airmon-ng start wlan0") you will need to use "mon0"
    Read the OP post thoroughly as he already know what you are telling about putting card into monitor mode.stop increasing post-count by useless and already given replies.

Sorry bout that, sometimes some questions gets me on :P
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Just burned his ISO

See, now I've got a big problem. Now I know how you linux senior hackers are about noobs, so just know that I am one. But anyways, I installed BT4 on my Aspire, dualbooting it with Vista for my other family members, and when I try to run Wicd nothing happens....at all. So then I try the execute command, same problem. I tried setting wlan0 in my ifconfig, and it got there, but now I don't know what to do because without the network manager I have no clue how to connect. Anyone got any help for me? And don't be harsh, I'm new to linux, I mean I know a little, but not much, and I srsly need some help here.

Quote Originally Posted by surg3 View Post
    See, now I've got a big problem. Now I know how you linux senior hackers are about noobs, so just know that I am one. But anyways, I installed BT4 on my Aspire, dualbooting it with Vista for my other family members, and when I try to run Wicd nothing happens....at all. So then I try the execute command, same problem. I tried setting wlan0 in my ifconfig, and it got there, but now I don't know what to do because without the network manager I have no clue how to connect. Anyone got any help for me? And don't be harsh, I'm new to linux, I mean I know a little, but not much, and I srsly need some help here.
    That question has been covered hundreds of times --> search function

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by surg3 View Post
    I'm going to tell you right now that it's entirely possible you won't be able to inject using the drivers for the Ahteros card in your Acer that come in BT4. Note my OP.

I'm going to help you out, just because I know you're going to post again that you used the search function and you searched google and you couldn't find an answer. If you can follow the instructions in the link in my OP you'll have the madwifi-hal driver for your Atheros card.

After that you can connect manually using this method. I've only had BT on my Acer so this is the method I use, however there are other ways. I never use wicd because so many people post problems with it, and this is the way I originally learned. I even wrote a handy script for it...

NOTE: You'll need to know the essid of your wireless network, which you should. And if you can't figure that out then you have a lot to learn haha. You'll also need your WEP/WPA key.

1) Open your favorite editor and enter in...

wlanconfig ath0 destroy

echo Do you need to change MAC still y/n?
    read CMS

case "$CMS" in

"y" | "Y" )
    echo New MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX?
    read $MAC
    ifconfig wifi0 down
    macchanger --mac $MAC wifi0
    ;;

esac

echo

echo Enter ESSID
    read ESSID
    echo Does this network use encrytion y/n?
    read ANSWER

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode managed
    ifconfig ath0 up

case "$ANSWER" in

"y" | "Y" )
    echo Enter key:
    read KEY
    iwconfig ath0 essid $ESSID key $KEY
    ;;

"n" | "N" )
    iwconfig ath0 essid $ESSID
    ;;

esac

dhcpcd ath0

exit 0

2) Save as sw_cmc in /bin folder (I use this as a name, call it whatever you want. Mine stands for StartWifi_ChangeMacConnect)

3) Go into a console and type in chmod 755 /bin/sw_cmc

4) Type in sw_cmc in your console to begin the bash script. enter the information and if done correctly you should be connected. Has an option to connect with a spoofed MAC.

...Sorry to the Senior Members who don't condone helping people that don't want to help themselves. I want to keep this thread clear of any other people coming in asking the same question so might as well get it over with and I'm bored anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast