Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your favorite security training class?

Default What was your favorite security training class?

For those who've taken security classes from SANs, FoundStone, etc, etc, etc. Which was your favorite? I'm looking to take another class before the end of the year.

So far, I've done:
    -EnCase® Computer Forensics I -- Good. Not hacking, but good class. They could have made it 3 days instead of 5 days though. A lot of filler IMO.

-Mile2 Certified Pen Testing Expert -- Horrible. I think everyone in the class knew more than the instructor.

-FoundStone Ultimate Hacking Expert -- A+++. Great class. Some was over my head like making buffer overflows, but it was a great class.

-FoundStone Ultimate Hacking -- Same review as above. Great class.

Based on what i've heard here, the offensive security and GIAC classes are pretty good. I fear going for a pentesting class over the internet, but we'll see.
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pentesting with BackTrack class & WiFu class and recommend it to anyone who seriously is interested in learning how to use BackTrack. I am in the process of finishing up the Heorot Intermediate Pentesting class as well. I enjoyed that class very much too, it's not so much tool orientated but focuses on how to conduct a pentest using the OSSTMM.

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Based on what i've heard here, the offensive security and GIAC classes are pretty good. I fear going for a pentesting class over the internet, but we'll see.
    I felt the same way too when I took my first online class. I came to appreciate it really soon, as I found myself struggling in certain areas I had no experience in. This allowed me to research and spend the time I needed to understand something before moving on in the class as opposed to a live class that has a schedule to maintain. Also you get to keep the videos as a permanent reference, that you can go back and replay over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Yeah I heard someone else say in a blog that the offensive security class is good. My only problem with online is I'm time strapped. Finding spare time is kind of hard vs getting out of work for a week and having nothing to do but learn. I see they have a Maryland class in October, but $4,000 + hotel is pricey. I wonder if it's worth the extra $3,300 over online?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the Pentesting with BackTrack class & WiFu class and recommend it to anyone who seriously is interested in learning how to use BackTrack. I am in the process of finishing up the Heorot Intermediate Pentesting class as well. I enjoyed that class very much too, it's not so much tool orientated but focuses on how to conduct a pentest using the OSSTMM.
    Thanks!

That's a good point.

My favorite courses in order:
    • Offensive Security PWB
    • SANS GPEN
    • ALC Windows Hacking Masterclass (this was only run in Australia and its not offered any more unfortunately)

Im looking to do the SANS GWAPT and Offensive Security CTP next.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    My favorite courses in order:
    • Offensive Security PWB
    • SANS GPEN
    • ALC Windows Hacking Masterclass (this was only run in Australia and its not offered any more unfortunately)

Im looking to do the SANS GWAPT and Offensive Security CTP next.
    Thanks!
    Did you do the Offensive Security PWB online or in class?

I can only say that the Offsec classes are the best ones I've taken so far. Did PWB (former Offsec 101) and CTP online.

They are two awesome courses I can recommend to anyone who is interested in getting good hands on experience. Also the exam for the two courses are not just some stupid multiple choice tests.

I guess they will be even better as instructor led training but I hadn't had the chance to take live training yet.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Well hopefully one of these days I'll get a decent job so I can pay for this good training!
    "You're only smoke and mirrors..."

Quote Originally Posted by IAMZOMBIE View Post
    Thanks!
    Did you do the Offensive Security PWB online or in class?
    Online. From what I have seen the live training is only offered in the US, and my work wont usually offer to send me overseas for training (I'm in Australia).

Plus the online format actually suits me better, you can go at your own pace, spend more time on stuff that interests you and go through the stuff you are already familiar with quickly. Ive also always learned much better on my own by reading, and the course is ideal for this, you can do most of it just from the PDF. The videos are still there if you need to hear and see someone do what you're about to do, but I didnt really refer to them that much (apart from in the Core Impact and buffer overflow sections of the course - I learned some good OllyDbg shortcuts from that).

The thing I liked most about the course was that it actually posed a challenge, there was material in there (such as writing buffer overflow exploits) that other training providers consider too difficult to present in their training, and it was made very accessible. I can honestly say that out of the dozens of IT Training courses I have taken over the last 10 years, this is the first one that actually required some real effort to get through, and it was very satisfying once I had done so.

Also, the online version is much cheaper than the live - its actually a really good deal and so much cheaper than any of the comparable live alternatives. If you are after Penetration Testing training I dont think there is anything else better out there, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Figured I would update this for people searching.
    I took the Offensive Security PWB Live class.
    I think it was probably the best security class I've taken. Mutts is awesome.
    It's definitely worth your time and money IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast