Thread: need help setting up sd card to store all further data in bt3 final on eee pc701

Default need help setting up sd card to store all further data in bt3 final on eee pc701

I have installed bt3 final - full install as per the sucessful tutorial by hevnsnt on i-hacked.com however this install takes up nearly the whole of the insternal 4gb sdhc in the eee pc 701 -

I have an 8gb sd card which i would like to use for any further data eg updates,modules and logs capture data.

Can somebody please inform me how to specify that this sd card be the medium for future data to be stored

Much appreciated !!
    My Blog
    http://hackingmidasgold.blogspot.com
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Mine is mounted at /mnt/sda1, it is formatted as FAT32 so I can transfer data elsewhere with ease, and it has many of the same features you should have put onto your tmpfs.

I moved my htdocs directory to it and used a directory link to ensure I wasn't writing to the HDD and burning out my drive.

And now I cd into that drive whenever I do any work, i.e.
    Code:
    cd /mnt/sda1/ && airodump-ng -w saved -c 6 ath0
    Fairly simple really, you can type kismet there as well and it will do what it needs to do, saving everything to the /mnt/sda1 directory.

Note that I only tried briefly, but never succeeded in moving my /root/ directory to that drive, so I just linked some stuff (.bash_history, .lesshst and a few others) to /dev/null and work off the sd card as above.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Gitsnik , thats really helpfull thanks for taking the time out to answer -that has solved half of my problem re data and capture etc, however how would i go about updating fast track and installing nessus and pluggins without it defaulting to the sdhc ?
    My Blog
    Some days i feel like King Midas in Reverse - everything i touch turns to sh*t...............

Same deal as with the htdocs directory, move /pentest to your SD card, and then directory link it so that your regular filesystem is preserved.

Implementation is up to you You can move a fair bit of your data to the SD card, but for simplicities sake I would just move the non-defaults /pentest/, maybe /opt/leo and /opt/windows_binaries/ (not forgetting to link them back).

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Default move directory and link it

Right - can i just give you an example to make sure im doing this right -here's what i've done to have the pentest directory on my sdcard

mv pentest/ mnt/sdb1/pentest

ln -s /mnt/sdb1/pentest pentest
    My Blog

You could try it with a test directory to be sure, but that is, as far as I am concerned, a working applicable solution.

Ok im stuck i've moved the opt/ - usr/ - etc/ pentest/ directories to my external sdcard as the eee is full and doesn't have enough room for nessus after a full install of backtrack 3 - however when it is installing pluggins i have an error and the internal sdhc stills becomes full

I linked the directories as above post with ln -s where am i going wrong - all i want is to store all additional data after the install onto the external sd card - as there isn't enough room on the internal 4gb drive please help its drivin me mad

Come on guys can any1 give me any help on the last post
    My Blog