Thread: BT4 Installation Issues

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 Installation Issues

Hello All....

I am trying to install BT4 onto an old Dell D505. I burned the .iso to a DVD. When trying to copy any of the files over to my boot folder, I get something similar to the following:

cp: Cannont access 'bin/' : Input/output Error

Does this have to do with either the DVD or the disc drive? or am I completely off?

Either way, can someone point me to some reading on how to correct this issue?

Thanks.

Hello,

please read what a forums purpose is. This subforum is clearly not for asking questions on how to do something.

-> Thread moved to the newbie section.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

prowl3r

Follow this and you'll be fine.

Up and Running Backtrack 4 - Offensive Security

Just burned his ISO mr-swaggmore's Avatar

he must be using bt4 beta muts guide wont help him until he installs pre-final
    D-Day 2012 fact or fiction

Just burned his ISO

I was wondering if it was because I have been using Beta. I started the download for pre-final and will try that tonight.

However, just fyi in case anyone is searching this. I found a similar problem in the Ubuntu forums. This issue could be caused by a scratched up CD, dust on the lens or a defected disc drive, or bad sectors on the hard drive.

I did a few things...

Cleaned the DVD (it was recommended to rub some toothpaste over it, I just rubbed it on a monitor cloth)

Cleaned off the lens

Ran a HD utility to clean up the HD.

That seemed to work as I was successfully able to copy the files over. I have run into a new problem:

Kernel out of sync - init could not be found. (Not the exact words as I am away from my computer but thought I would reply to this thread since people were kind enough to reply to me.)

I have not had time to research the newest error but will do so. This thread can be considered solved though.

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuc View Post
    I was wondering if it was because I have been using Beta. I started the download for pre-final and will try that tonight.

However, just fyi in case anyone is searching this. I found a similar problem in the Ubuntu forums. This issue could be caused by a scratched up CD, dust on the lens or a defected disc drive, or bad sectors on the hard drive.

I did a few things...

Cleaned the DVD (it was recommended to rub some toothpaste over it, I just rubbed it on a monitor cloth)

Cleaned off the lens

Ran a HD utility to clean up the HD.

That seemed to work as I was successfully able to copy the files over. I have run into a new problem:

Kernel out of sync - init could not be found. (Not the exact words as I am away from my computer but thought I would reply to this thread since people were kind enough to reply to me.)

I have not had time to research the newest error but will do so. This thread can be considered solved though.

just get backtrack 4 prefinal and use the installer on that. it should fix all your problems.
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Just burned his ISO

Thank you.

The Pre-Final release installed with no problems.

I guess the fact I was using beta was having issues with this old computer. To be expected with Beta I guess. Thanks.