Thread: Hacking the ADSL modem or router

Just burned his ISO

Default Hacking the ADSL modem or router

I have been wondering that after pwn-ing a DSL modem or router over a WAN how can it be exploited maliciously. Only thing that comes to my mind is to setup a static routing and do the MITM stuff.

Does anyone else know any details or any other way to exploit a pwned modem.

By the word "exploiting" i didn't mean it in the hacking sense but like in general english.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

If you have... ahem... "pwned" your router, then there is no need to exploit it as you have already gained access to it.

I suggest you spend some time learning a bit more about networking if you want to look at other things you could do, include in your google terms like "evilgrade" and "mitm filters".
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for reply.

I know about the MITM filter and how to create them using ettercap but what i wanted to know is that how on WAN can you do MITM attack. Can static routing be done leading the traffic to your own IP.

Good friend of the forums

I know about the MITM filter and how to create them using ettercap but what i wanted to know is that how on WAN can you do MITM attack. Can static routing be done leading the traffic to your own IP.
    Set the dns to your computer then use a record of * to make anything that uses dns to repley with your address for everthing then forward it.
    If its got a gateway option, use that.

Just burned his ISO

@compaq

Thanks for your reply. Tell me if i have understood your correctly?

I think what your are trying to say is that I use DNS spoofing to redirect traffic to my own websever on my PC and then internally use ettercap to relay the spoofed traffic from the actual website with my own payloads added to the victim again.

yep, change the dns in there router to your computer, when they lookup a site it will go to your dns server, and you repley that ever web site has your computers ip address, when they try to go to your web server, you forward it to the real web server, based on what the just looked up in the dns.

Just burned his ISO

Set the dns to your computer then use a record of * to make anything that uses dns to repley with your address for everthing then forward it.
    If its got a gateway option, use that.
    Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain what do you mean by "the GATEWAY option"?

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please explain what do you mean by "the GATEWAY option"?
    it tells the computer or router that if it can't find the address on it local network(like if your network uses 192.168.1.1) then anything that isn't 1.1-1.255 will look for it from the gateway.
    To find the gateway anything thats connected to the router will be asked if they know were your address is, and the isp will direct it to you,