Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's with the mods post checking?

Just burned his ISO sociopathichaze's Avatar

Default What's with the mods post checking?

So I get it is to weed out spammers, but all they would have to do is post a bunch of non-spam comments, then when they get approved. Edit the posts to whatever they want since they don't have to be checked. Seems like a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by sociopathichaze View Post
    So I get it is to weed out spammers, but all they would have to do is post a bunch of non-spam comments, then when they get approved. Edit the posts to whatever they want since they don't have to be checked. Seems like a waste of time.
    New members posts are moderated for a short period of time.

When they "post a bunch of non-spam comments" for the express purpose of defeating the post moderation, it is pretty damn obvious. If it's aggregious, I'll ban people for doing this, especially if the comments are worthless to the discussion.

We've been doing it this way for quite a while (with a few tweaks here and there) and for the most part, it works very well. What you don't see is all the spam that gets deleted before it even gets made public, specifically because this policy is in place.

So I would have to disagree with you that it is a waste of time.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    New members posts are moderated for a short period of time.

When they "post a bunch of non-spam comments" for the express purpose of defeating the post moderation, it is pretty damn obvious. If it's aggregious, I'll ban people for doing this, especially if the comments are worthless to the discussion.

We've been doing it this way for quite a while (with a few tweaks here and there) and for the most part, it works very well. What you don't see is all the spam that gets deleted before it even gets made public, specifically because this policy is in place.

So I would have to disagree with you that it is a waste of time.
    You should just forward all the spam messages to his email account. I've done this to people that complained about the one or two spam emails that make it through our filters. They get it all for one day.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You should just forward all the spam messages to his email account. I've done this to people that complained about the one or two spam emails that make it through our filters. They get it all for one day.
    I've had users complain when 1 message gets through the filter because they've gotten so used to not getting any spam. I normally laugh at them since they have no concept of how many messages are blocked every hour.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I've had users complain when 1 message gets through the filter because they've gotten so used to not getting any spam. I normally laugh at them since they have no concept of how many messages are blocked every hour.
    That's why they get them all.

Good friend of the forums Eatme's Avatar

yea i agree 200% its a pain in the ass, but its only for 3 days. You'd be suprised on some forums you can't even activate your account intell after 3 days the acvivation code was sent to ur email. Some do it by Admin decicision. ;[

Developer

These people who complain are clearly people who have never been a mod at a large forum. I delete more spam and crap on this forum every day than in all my email box's put together. I really dont see the big deal, the mods are the ones who do all the work.

I don't see the problem either, the simple fact is that our system works.
    Before this system was put into place the forum was continuously flooded with spam (it still is) but the difference is that it is very rare for a spam post to make it though to the forum for everyone to see. More than 99.99% of spam posts are dealt with by the moderators and admins of this forum well before they make it through the net, just as it should be.
    Yes some members do feel inconvenienced by the restrictions placed on them for a few days and a few posts, but I for one feel this is a very small price to pay for an almost entirely spam free forum. Particularly when all the extra work is done by a very small group of people who volunteer their time to keep these forums running a smoothly as they do.

I feel proud that this forum is as spam free as it is.

As it stands, we get more complaints when a piece of spam does get through than about the the restrictions on new members, so IMHO it would appear that we have got the balance right.

@ the mods: You do a great job keeping the forum spam free and I for one am grateful for all of the unpaid effort you put in to keep things here running smoothly so that the community is provided with this great resource.

@ those who have a problem with the restrictions on the forum: The restrictions are minor, and disappear completely before you know it. I was hardly inconvenienced by them at all when I joined earlier this year. Get over it and stop complaining.

@ Barry: Very BOFH of you
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post

@ Barry: Very BOFH of you
    Some people just can't visualize "hundreds of thousands" without something tangible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast