Thread: Loading Hardware in Custom Account VS Root

Just burned his ISO

Default Loading Hardware in Custom Account VS Root

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for this newbie question. I tried searching for answers, but I couldn't seem to find the right key words to use and my search didn't turn up any results. I also manually read through several pages worth of threads around here but still no luck.

The problem I have is how my hardwares don't seem to load in a custom account but do fine in root. I have my BT4 persistent working on my SD card. I used the BT4's installer to create this card. When I installed it, it asked to create a new user account, which I'll call John for now.

Now, when I log into John, sound doesn't work, internet doesn't work, etc. I know I can manually start them up by running su root and then type in commands, etc. I tried that for my wifi card. However, even though I was able to get to the point Wicd was listing the networks to connect to, it never managed to establish connection.

If I don't log into John in the first place and go directly to root and then startx, everything loads automatically from the beginning (I hear the boot sound, the internet works just fine, etc).

I'm hoping that I can make my new account "John" work as easily as root does. Can someone please enlighten me? Thank you so much in advance.

GT

1. magic word is called sudo
    The sudo command is a program for some Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user (normally the superuser, a.k.a. root).
    Code:
    man sudo
    it is recommend gksudo or kdesu for graphical applications

2. sound
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/group
    search the following line and add your user
    audio:x:29:john
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

Thank you so much for the information. I did some reading on sudo command as inspired by your post and came across a few things that might be closer to what I'm wanting to do.

The command I ended up learning about is sudoers file and visudo.
    I added a line like this in my sudoers file:

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL
    john ALL=(ALL) ALL

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. Even a simple command like ifconfig wlan0 up turns out a response like siocsifflagsL permission denied. What am I doing wrong?

GT

try
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"]Nought's had, all's spent, ... Where our desire is got without content
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

you do not need the line in the sudoers file
    john ALL=(ALL) ALL
    because the user john is in the group admin
    /etc/sudoers
    # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
    %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
    leave the file untouched
    to examine in more detail
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/group
    adm:x:4:john
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

I have a few problems here. First, I don't see any line that says "audio" anywhere in that list.

Second, I still can't seem to get the internet going. I've tried sudo ifconfig, which works just fine, but my networkmanager or wicd or both don't seem to work. When I click on wicd, there's no response.

I'm sure there are other commands to get them going, but even so, my ultimate goal is to set it up so I don't have to go through a series of commands like that every time I log into john. When I log into root from the beginning, the sound is already there. Network manager and wicd work just fine without any need for commands.

ups double post
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

1. you took which installation?
    2. show us the result
    Code:
    cat /etc/group
    3. show us the result
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    4. read more about Start/Stop-Skripts and Runlevel and other basics(google)
    5. to start wicd as normal user under bt4 hard disk install with install.sh
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

When I was typing the list for /etc/group, I found the audio line. I must have missed it before when I was scrolling down (page refreshes/jumps when scrolling). I added john to the line, and now the audio is enabled whenever I log into the account.

Regarding the internet, is "sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start" something I need to do every time I log into BT4? Or, is there a way to have it start up from the beginning just like the audio?

I'm beginning to understand how linux works thanks to your guidance and some reading as suggested.

There still seems to be an issue with wicd though. I had to close it and reopen it and try connecting many many times before I could connect to a network (otherwise, it would just try connecting for a while and say not connected). Is this a known issue?

1. Install a tool sysv-rc-conf. It is a perl based boot process adjustment tool.

It gives you a way to esaily config the boot process and runlevel configuration, but its not necessary if you want to do it manually by linking/unlinking the files... Its up to you.

2. h xx p://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]