Thread: BT3 ntop segfault

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 ntop segfault

All,

Despite trying everything I could think of, and googling extensively for a solution, I can't keep ntop from segfaulting within minutes of start up on BT3. I am running BT in a VMware Server VM, and have tried both the BT3 VM version, and runninng the BT3 iso in a VM. Both return the same result. Is this due to a bug? Has anyone else experienced and, more importantly, solved this issue?

Many thanks.

Just burned his ISO

I'm curious: why do you want to run ntop on backtrack?

If you use a switch or a router (i.e. not a hub), ntop will only see the traffic between backtrack and the computer to which it access or between backtrack and the Internet. It will not see the traffic between the other computers or between another computer and Internet. ntop is better located between the firewall and the internet router, but still it will not see the transfert between the computers.

It all depend on your goals.

Just burned his ISO

I appreciate your response, but I'm already aware of the point you're making. I have a hub connected between my firewall and router to use for diagnostic purposes. I have a couple of diagnostic-related VMs using the iface that connects to the hub. On one of those VMs, I've installed and use Wireshark (or tcpdump, for that matter).

It's the constant crashing of ntop (which I've run successfully, standalone, on other machines) that I simply can't figure out. Again, no amount of my tinkering or googling has produced a solution. Sure would like to make this work in BT3.